Existing Member?

rtw

Hanoi to Hue

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 3 October 2007 | Views [295]

Took the mid day flight down to Hue with Vietnam Airlines; got a business class ticket again, the price difference is not a huge amount and it just means things are a little hassle free, you get your luggage through at the other end first, which means you can avoid the mad rush, you get to use the lounge, so free food, drink and Internet connection. As business class passengers you get a different bus across the tarmac to the plane, I shared this with an American couple, I think we were all suitably embarresed by the vip treatment !

The flight down was all in cloud, due to being on the edge of a typhoon, this was expected to hit Vietnam today, but it looks as if it has changed direction at the last minute.

Hue ariport is a small  airport, there is a bus and taxi counter inside and the crowds outside weren't so overwhelming as Hanoi or Saigon. I bought a ticket for the bus (30, 000 VND) taxi's were being advertised for 100,000 VND.

The bus journey took about 30 minutes and despite being told it went to several hotels, it actually just dumped everyone in the centre of the new town; fortunately this is where I am staying.

I wanted to make good use of the afternoon, so despite the rain, I went for a walk across the bridge into the citadel. A lot of the streets were flooded from the rain, this mixed with all the street rubbish wasn't the most pleasant paddline experience. I found the entrance to the inner citadel, so bought a ticket and spent a couple of hours looking around the ancient city. The buildings are amazing, but after a while I think you get a bit saturated with history, it's a bit like Rome or Pompeii in that respect, you are spoilt by history.

I found that I was hassled a lot less in Hue than I was in Hanoi and Saigon, I managed to walk some blocks without having anyone offer me a ride on a  moped !

Took the easy option in the evening and eat in the hotel. Intend to revisit citadel tomorrow after going to railway station to try and get ticket for next days travel down to Hoi An (via Da Nang).

Tags: Sightseeing

 

About daniel


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.