Existing Member?

art and travel journal from a round-the-world art adventure

Madrid

SPAIN | Saturday, 30 May 2009 | Views [731]

Madrid is an imperial city, built by royal decree when the old capital of Toledo, defensive atop a hill and wrapped on three sides by the Tagus river, was found too polyglot, too constricted, too linked to the centuries old Moorish presence on the peninsula.

So, from the mid 16th Century, when Phillip II moved his court here, it was to Madrid that the riches of empire returned. Following the conquest of the New World the city was paved in grand boulevards and palaces of grey stone. Some tiny fraction of all the gold and silver that must have been melted down and sold to pay for war and colonial expansion remains. Jewellery and sculpture behind the thick glass of the Museo de America. Trinkets really, compared to the loot that was taken.

These days the city bustles. My street, the Grand Via, runs six lanes deep in a never-ending shuffle of cars and buses. At its eastern edge are the cluster of former palaces – now museums - of which the Prado, with its endlessly multiplying rooms of oil paintings and sculptures, is only the best known.

Heading west. One block north of the Retiro, the ribbon-like park inaugurated by the same Phillip II who moved his court here. Past department stores, El Museo Jamon, a local food chain. Coffee shops, clothing stores, the kerb side boxes of the lottery sellers.

Just before the urban development gives way to parkways and flyovers are two buildings, staring at each other across the road from windows cut in granite. Fascist architecture really – bronze eagles and stone sculptures of a woman with broad shoulders and strong thighs. The left-hand building belongs to the Spanish Air Force, the Ejercito del Aire, and just above the letters announcing this is a smaller plaque dedicated to Francisco Franco, Caudillo of Spain, 1954.

About damonlk


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.