Existing Member?

art and travel journal from a round-the-world art adventure

Tourist

SPAIN | Saturday, 2 May 2009 | Views [1747]

Barcelona has its share of tourists. Actually it has the share of other cities as well, for the crowds that gather around the main Gaudi monuments –La Pedrera, the Familia Sagrada, Parc Güell – do so in numbers that would seem more appropriate to airports in South-East Asia or the central railway stations of large European cities. At 10am on any given day the queues are 200 deep. You can only imagine how they might be mid summer. 

Of course the architecture is amazing. It is animate, grotesque and organic in a way that somehow spans the gap between Art Noveau and the paranoid excesses of H.R. Giger. On the façade of Casa Batllo the balconies are stylised skulls, the roof tiled like a dragon's skin in shades of blue and green.

But the tourists are everywhere, and so too the ever-present remora of touts and souvenir stalls. So I walk south into the gothic quarter with its narrow streets, paved alleyways, and tall, shuttered buildings.

Just before the end of the quarter, two streets from the wide corniche, is an alley lined with Chinese shops, local bars, and smelling of urine. You follow it across La Rambla, with its circus performers and acrobats, past houses with bricked-in windows, rubbish and graffiti. On the street corners stand prostitutes in absurd, pastel coloured clothing, their pimps keeping guard at close range.

Between the whores and hashish sellers are small Pakistani grocers, travel agents advertising cheap flights to Lahore in Spanish and Urdu, and a photocopy booth with signs in four languages.

Needless to say there are no tourists here, in the hustle and drive of Drassanes. A quarter noted only on the map for the Metro station of the same name, and Richard Meier's MACBA building, its white forms ascending cleanly into the blue sky.

About damonlk


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.