Existing Member?

art and travel journal from a round-the-world art adventure

Aminabad

PAKISTAN | Tuesday, 19 February 2008 | Views [1413] | Comments [3]

Two hours north west of Lahore, and half way to Gujranwala, is the town of Aminabad. Once prosperous, for the last 150 years it has been slipping into quiet obscurity.

The decline began in the 19th century with the realignment of the GT Road. The newly constructed railway followed, and what was once a provincial trading centre moved slowly off the maps.

The money that was there remained, and the Hindu and Sikh families with their great multistory mansion or havelis continued, if more quietly then before.

It was not until Partition that all changed.

The logic of the day, if that can be the word for the chaos that ensued, demanded that minorities of either side change places. And so Hindus traded prosperity for rags and journeys on overcrowded trains east, and penniless mohajirs [refugees] from Haryana and Uttar Pradesh took their place.

The houses, predictably, were looted. Locals destroyed their fine furniture and fittings. Frescoes were defaced on suspicion of being haram.

These days a new town has grown up between the highway and rail line, noisy and brash. But the old town continues, and the children of those first immigrants still occupy houses impossibly grand.

Traces of paint and plaster decoration remain high up where the mobs could not reach. Sculptured peacocks still guard the massive porticoes and carved vines cover the doors. Floors have collapsed here and there and the town slowly shuffles downward.

The families watch the decline and repair as best they can but the mansions are old and expensive to conserve, let alone restore.

From the rooftop where I sit and draw, once the grandest of the havelis, you can see rooms now open to the light and solitary walls with empty recesses that once held household effects.

Just down the road, and before the fields of this fertile land begin again, stand two temples, plaster greyed by the years, ficus growing from cracks in their walls.

Tags: culture

Comments

1

is there a book here - travels & art?

  Tamara Feb 21, 2008 7:02 PM

2

I was born in this town on 12th January, 1937. I studied up to fourth class in Dewan Amarnath High School. I'm very happy to know about my birth place where I spent about 10 years of my childhood. Thanks for the wonderful journal, and keep up the good work.

  Sqdn. Ldr. A. M. Bhalla (retd.) Apr 17, 2008 1:59 AM

3

hi,
i was born in Aminabad too on 13 march 1937. i studied in that school too. so that makes us school mates. you would be happy to know that the school was built by my grand father Dewan Amarnath Chopra. how about getting in touch to renew some old memories.

  Capt. J N Choppra Dec 14, 2009 9:43 AM

About damonlk


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Pakistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.