Existing Member?

art and travel journal from a round-the-world art adventure

Next door

PAKISTAN | Monday, 21 January 2008 | Views [997]

On Wednesday we returned to Pakistan after three weeks travelling through its neighbour, sometime enemy, and rising regional superpower, India. Crossing the border felt like coming home, and that small absurd step across an invisible line cleared crowds, changed script and currency, and bought us back to Lahore.


The sky above remained the same clear blue, and the sun shone with equal warmth on fields that were much the same on either side of a divided Punjab.


Comparisons are odious, but inescapable. To avoid the worst excesses of Indo-Pak rivalry my home, Lahore, became 'next door'. Banalities such as


'there are more cows here than next door'


'there are more people here than next door'


'the ice cream is much better next door'


seemed easier without a proper noun. In any case the Indians were more interested in the differences between their country and Australia, an enormous proposition, or cricket. It was a guilty pleasure to be in a country where front page news, day after day, was sport or Bollywood or who Madonna met in Mumbai or Rajasthan.


All of which now creates the awkward position of talking about the country next door to next door. Because it is clear that the streets are cleaner and less crowded here, even if they make up for the relative space with a driving style that borders on homicidal.


I am living near the old town now, in a small hotel with a roof garden and terrace. It is down a lane past fruit sellers and a bakery and is filled, not with tourists, but people writing PhDs on religious minorities or researching for documentary films about the kusrah. No one except the truly brave come to Pakistan seeking cheap religious enlightenment.


Ice cream is still waiting for a suitable after dinner moment to confirm the otherwise self evident truth that it is better, next door to next door.

Tags: culture

About damonlk


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Pakistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.