Existing Member?

Silk Route Project Craig and Simon are currently travelling from India to Istanbul with the fantastic support of World Nomads. On behalf of Footprints, World Nomad's charity, they will be visiting of a number of projects along the route to deliver supplies of essential medicines to impoverished children.

Boiling on the border

PAKISTAN | Monday, 24 July 2006 | Views [1601]

So its time for us to get out of India and of to Pakistan but before we do there is one more pace to visit Amritser the home of the Golden Temple, this place beats the Taj hands down not only is it free to enter (Taj 750 rupees!!!) but there is free food, plus its full of the nicest people we met in India and the temple itself is one of the most outstanding building we have ever had the pleasure of laying our eyes on.

After the Golden Temple we wipe the sweat from our brows and make our way to the Pakistan border, we bordered the bus followed by about 100 Indians, the bus is full and today is not the day to be on a full bus 49 degrees and counting, the bus slowly empties as we make our way to the border with people giving us curious stares as if to say "Your going to Pakistan, why do you wanna go there" but we just smile and wave goodbye. We arrive at the border and the bus is compleatly empty even the conductor gave up on us giving us one last curious stare before leaping from the bus.

After the bus drops us off and screams away leaving us in a cloud of dust we slowly make our way up the 1km strech of road to the border, saying our last no-thankyous to some eager touts offering us dinky rides to the border, we look to our left and notice one traveller has taken them up on this, reclining on the back enjoying a beer, his last for however long he is travelling through the next few countries, we both kick ourselves for not thinking the same thing(and we call ourselves Australian).The border crossing went ahead very smoothly if you can call visiting a total of 7 offices along the way smooth.

As we cross the border into Pakistan we do so with some trepidation, unsure as to what to expect we are supreamly happy to discover that Pakistan is full of wonderful people everywhere, everyone wants to say hello and welcome us to their country plus as soon as they find out we are Aussies cricket is the main subject (this pleased craig as he was very dissapointed by the lack of enthusiasm, shown by the Indians whilst we were there). After we were settled in Lahore our tummies were starting to rumble so its was off to Food st for KEBABS!!!!! cow baby yeah.

One night in Lahore was all we could handle its one of the hottest and most polluted places we have ever visited, so we head North for Rawilpindi for one night, now its time for us to escape this heat and head for the Pakistani mountains and up the Karakoram hwy so stay tuned

Tags: Adventures

 

 

Travel Answers about Pakistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.