Existing Member?

Coze Travles

Irish Fantacy

IRELAND | Thursday, 24 April 2014 | Views [193] | Scholarship Entry

My family and I tend to only travel to places that are a few hours away but this year we decided to do something different. Our dog had just passed away that year and we felt that a vacation would be a great way to change the emotions. Ireland would be our place of choice due to its rich culture and the fact that we barely knew anything about the country. This is where a transformation experience began for me that would change my views about people and other cultures.
I have always had a fondness for history especially ancient history and to me the Celts were a part of that category. Recently I had gotten into some small research on the culture and the history of Ireland in preparation of the trip. I was learning about the Viking presence in the country, the Ogham language, and the food. When it came time for the trip, I brought what I had learned with me but walked away from the country learning so much more.
Upon entry to the country, my family and I were pleased to discover how friendly the people were even in the airport. Our journey started in Dublin where we stayed for two days. The people were more than helpful if you got lost but the scenery itself was mind-blowing. The architecture was amazing even for those who were normally not into that type of thing. After Dublin we traveled to other towns that were less popular. It was there that I got a real taste for true Ireland.
I learned that the people were extremely humble, the country has a very deep and rich history, and that the country itself has so much to offer. Last year during my second year of college I took an anthropology class and learned much about culture. I was able to relate much of what I had learned in Ireland to that of other peoples. Being able to make such connections and understand why I was able to was extremely fascinating and pushed me to learn more. After taking a second anthropology class this year which discusses food, I have solidified my desire to go into the pathway of anthropology.
I would highly encourage anybody who travels to other countries to try and make connections via the culture, the food, the artwork and any other cultural aspect. It is amazing to learn how similar cultures truly are despite how different we assume we are from others. I myself would personally love to have the opportunity to travel more in order to examine these connections closer. Hopefully the future grants me this ability so that I can have even more cultural experiences.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About coze


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.