Existing Member?

One Step at a Time

Best and Worst of the Philippines

PHILIPPINES | Thursday, 11 August 2011 | Views [28855] | Comments [13]

Fruit Wines from the Philippines' Mountain Provinces

Fruit Wines from the Philippines' Mountain Provinces

Best and Worst of the Philippines

Let’s be realistic here. Every country has its good and its bad points; nobody’s perfect. That is also why each country has its own unique “flavor” for visitors to discover and enjoy! Here are some things to look forward to, and some things to prepare for, in the Philippines.

Best

1. Food (can also be bad…)  

The Philippines has some of the most sinful food in the world. We put sugar in our spaghetti and in our iced tea; we fry our leftover rice and our fish; and we eat almost everything with rich sauces. We pair our beers with deep-fried finger foods; we load our pastries with butter, glazed sugar and cream; we love to snack all day and our gatherings overflow with food all over.

Eating in the Philippines is horrible for your diet, but really, if you’re only here for a visit, why wouldn’t you cheat a little? There are just that many dishes to try; not only does each region have its own specialties, but we Filipinos have our own versions of many dishes found elsewhere in the world. The Wikipedia article on Philippine cuisine gives just a hint of the rich variety visitors can encounter in our country: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_cuisine. So come on over and whet your appetites, because there is just nothing in the world quite like Filipino food.  

2. Booze

Drinking is a major part of Filipino culture, and the country has plenty of local alcohol that’s worth a try.

The famous local beer is San Miguel; most establishments offer buckets of beer at Php200 for five or six bottles. That’s just about a dollar a drink. There’s also the much stronger Red Horse, also produced by the same corporation, a favorite of those who want to get drunk hard and fast. A popular local vodka brand is The Bar, which has green apple, orange and strawberry flavors and is used in many cocktails. Another popular brand is Tanduay Rhum, which also produces gin, vodka and brandy. All these brands are quite tasty and inexpensive.

For more unique drinks, try lambanog, which is commonly made from coconut, sugar cane or rice. Lambanog is proudly touted as an all-natural drink made from completely natural sources and no chemical ingredients. It is a very inexpensive drink commonly found in Quezon province. Locals drink it in a practice called tagayan, in which one glass is passed around the table for everyone to drink from.

The Philippines also produces a lot of fruit wines. Mijiah Tropical Fruit Wines is a multi-award winning wine exporter which has made a name for itself in the US and Europe. The wines were chosen as one of Best 15 Products of the World during National Food Week 2005 in Utrecht, Netherlands. The wines are exclusively distributed at SM Kultura, making them easily accessible anywhere in Metro Manila and in most major Philippine cities. Flavors include wild berry, mango, soursop and plum.

As with any good thing though, indulging too much can be bad. Stay away from seedy neighborhoods where loitering drunks can sometimes get violent. There have been cases of family members and drinking buddies getting stabbed by an enraged drunk, and people have even been killed for choosing the wrong song to sing during karaoke night. Drinking in restaurants is often safer, but if you really want to get wasted, it’s best to stay at a friend’s house or in your hotel room. You don’t want to fall asleep in a taxi or a jeepney and wake up to find your wallet gone.

3. Blend of cultures

The Philippines has always been a melting pot of races. Spanish and American influences are rampant due to both nations having occupied the Philippines at some point. Over 90% of the population can speak English well enough to communicate with tourists, and American food is a favorite. Spanish influences can be seen in the devout Catholicism of the majority of the population; the Philippines is dotted with churches and all its greatest festivals have roots in the Catholic religion. Chinese influences are also strong and can be seen in the Chinese-Filipino population, and in the popularity of Chinese-inspired food. Filipinos are an adaptive people and happily embrace aspects of culture from many nations: there are traces of Indian, Arabic and Japanese. Korean TV shows and pop music are favorites among many of the youth.

The Philippines also enjoys widespread diversity among its native ethnic populations. There are over 160 ethnic groups and tribes in the country; however, ethnicity is very fluid here. Go to almost any major city in Metro Manila, and you can still easily find people whose parents came from far-flung provinces in the archipelago. What this brings to the Philippines is an interesting mix of culture, cuisine, festivals and practices, and traveling anywhere in the Philippines is sure to bring with it new things to discover and appreciate. 

4. Celebrations 

The Philippines has one of the longest Christmas celebrations in the world. The festivities begin on December 16 and end on the first Sunday of January – a three-week long stretch of church celebrations, family reunions, gatherings with friends and lots of eating. This is the season for Filipinos to celebrate the gifts of family and friends in their lives; that it also includes New Year is all the more reason to celebrate. Families often fly many miles to spend the days from Christmas Day up to New Year’s Eve under one roof. A Filipino Christmas also isn’t complete without caroling and the Simbang Gabi, a series of 9 masses held at dawn.

Filipinos also have some truly epic religious festivals.  Cebu’s Sinulog; Bacolod’s Masskara; Iloilo’s Dinagyang; Baguio’s Panagbenga are just some of the numerous festivals that go on in the country. In fact, it is said that there is always at least one barrio somewhere in the Philippines that is celebrating a festival right now. The majority of these festivals have Catholic roots, and those that don’t are usually tied to other belief systems. Yet, most of these are categorized by parades, dances, colorful decorations, extremely large crushing crowds and plenty of food and partying. It’s not uncommon for young people to gather their friends and head to one of the big festivals for a weekend of fun. There are also more sober festivals where the devout head out on pilgrimages to different churches around the country. Whether you’re looking for a wild party or a solemn moment with your deity, you will definitely find at least one festival to your liking.

Filipinos also know how to throw a bash. Birthdays, weddings, baptisms, graduations, promotions, migrations – almost any major occasion is worth a pakain. Filipinos will invite family and friends (and sometimes even friends of friends) for a feast to toast their good fortune. In fact, it is far more common for birthday celebrants to treat their friends to a meal, than it is for friends to give gifts! Some people take it to a fault; it is common for even the most humble families to draw from their savings and splurge on food for a celebration. Filipinos just really believe that happiness and good fortune should be shared.

One should never travel to the Philippines without attending at least one such event. I haven’t been to many parties abroad, but I’m pretty sure that the Philippines, with its friendly and welcoming people and wonderful food, can match celebrations thrown anywhere else in the world.

5. Natural Beauty

Yes, beaches can be found everywhere in the tropics, I’ll grant you that. But Philippine beaches can stand there among the best of them. Many of my friends and I share the same sentiments – why go to Phuket or Bali when you have so many to choose from here?

Probably the best part about Philippine beaches is that there are so many to choose from. If you want to party all night long in mixed crowds of locals and foreigners, hop on over to Boracay, Mactan or Puerto Galera. If you want luxury and pampering, there are high-class resorts in Panglao and Davao. Saving up? Camp out in the Hundred Islands or in Anawangin. Want some world-class snorkeling and diving? Head over to Palawan, Donsol or Anilao.  Want seclusion? Several areas such as Batanes, Guimaras, Pagudpud and Camiguin still receive relatively few visitors. Always wanted to learn how to surf? Baler and La Union receive a lot of waves. Love the water but are afraid of the ocean? Check out the water sports facilities in Camarines Sur. Up for a relaxing cruise? Many ferry companies offer just such that.

We have more than just beaches too. Spelunkers can enjoy the caves in Sagada or at Biak-na-Bato Park. Cagayan de Oro offers white-water rafting; Mounts Apo and Pulag, among others, offer breathtaking views at their tops; Palawan’s Subterranean River is on the UNESCO World Heritage List; the La Paz san dunes let you take out a spin on a 4x4. Several areas offer waterfalls or cliffs that you can jump off; Subic and Bohol, among other spots, allow you to try ziplining or swinging among the treetops.

With the rise of the middle classes and the advent of low-cost airlines, more and more Filipinos are looking to travel for leisure. Tourism within the country has never been better, and now is a perfect time for travelers to experience the best that these islands have to offer.

Worst

1. Disregard for the rules

Many hypotheses are posited for why Filipinos have such a disregard for rules. Is it the lack of clear and swift consequences? Is it because we are just such a free-spirited people? Is it a holdover from times past when the normal citizen had to have a little coin to protect themselves from corrupt officials?

Whatever the reason, it is a sad reality that Filipinos have a pakiusap mentality. From a young age, we learn to be polite and nice to authority figures like teachers, bosses and policemen, so that when we need favors, they may be more inclined to grant them to us. Sadly, bribery is quite common; if you ever get caught by a cop for a traffic violation, you may be able to escape after parting with a couple hundred pesos. That is one reason why traffic jams are so awful; public transport operators often get away with their horrible driving practices because of bribes. Traffic enforcement is also quite poor, and you can often find buses occupying two or three lanes on a four-lane highway. Once you get past the bus stops, you’ll be delighted (or exasperated) to find that the rest of the way is clear. It is a common joke among locals and visitors alike that if you’ve learned to drive in Metro Manila, you can drive well anywhere else in the world. Filipino drivers are just that much more crazy and unpredictable.

This is another reason why the country has such a pollution problem. The once proud Pasig River that runs through Metro Manila is now a dead river due to waste from people living on its banks. In many areas of the capital, you’ll see numerous signs telling people that littering, peeing or vandalism is not allowed – yet you can still spot the occasional violator. One government agency even installed little sheds for males to pee in, yet the plumbing isn’t exactly all that.

I’ve ridden on trains in Singapore and Hong Kong, and I can tell you that they have it much better. Our trains here are cramped, and passengers have to be reminded often to let alighting passengers depart first. Once, an unfortunate woman was about to get off when she was met with a literal wave of people rushing in. She was forced to get off at the next stop instead.

Still, this problem is not quite so bad in the provinces – although you do have to be careful of jeepney and tricycle drivers who will try to overcharge you. That said, if you have some patience and a good sense of humor, and make sure to exercise caution, you can still enjoy your travels in the Philippines.

2. Filipino time

Perhaps it is a tribute to our laid-back vibe, but Filipinos are famous for Filipino time. While I know some people who are very strict about time, for most, there is an unspoken 15-minute grace period for attendees.

It’s also common for friends to reply to an invitation with “I’ll try”, or “Go ahead and I’ll catch up”. This is especially true for large groups, and is unspoken shorthand for “I have no idea if I can make it, so you’ll be pleasantly surprised if I do show up!”

Don’t fret, though, as travel agencies, hotels, restaurants and other people you’d normally come into contact with as a tourist are professional enough to be strict about time. And with acquaintances… for best results, don’t schedule too much in one day. Just take your time and savor the time spent with good company.

3. Rains and flooding  

Being an archipelago and being located in the tropics, typhoons have come to be a way of life for us Filipinos.

However, what makes it worse is that even a simple cloudburst wreaks havoc. City streets are littered with potholes that can’t be seen under the flood water. This, coupled with Metro Manila’s legendary traffic, makes getting around a challenge worthy of any obstacle course.

Visitors can avoid this by visiting during the summer months. Traffic will still be bad, but at least your feet will be dry! In fact, unless you’re after a certain festival or event, it is much, much better to visit during the summer. Visitors during the rainy season won’t be able to enjoy our lovely beaches or mountains due to the threats of large waves, landslides, and blocked roads. Most sports and activities will have to be put on hold as well. Besides, the Philippines is so much more beautiful in the summer.

 

4. Heat and humidity

A visit to tropical Philippines means soaking up plenty of sunlight, and breathing in heavy air. Even a short stroll outside can cause you to sweat any time of the year, even during December. Most Filipinos would wear shorts and tank tops if we could get away with it, but dressing too casually in public places is frowned upon. Luckily, foreigners get a free pass to dress down, so feel free to stroll about in your slippers and board shorts.

Of course, the heat isn’t nearly as noticeable at the beach. The cool sea breezes and the inviting water make it much less noticeable; just make sure to visit during summer.

Visitors looking for a change of scenery can head for higher ground and visit Tagaytay or the Cordillera region. The latter, especially, boasts an almost ancient vibe; the people of the Cordillera mountains were among the few to escape being subjugated by the Spaniards, and later on the Americans. As such, they retain many of their original practices, such as burying their dead in hanging coffins. These areas also offer spelunking, trekking, and breathtaking views of the hand-carved rice terraces and golden sunrises piercing the mountains. The best part is that you’ll hardly remember what the heat in the lower-lying areas is like.

Tags: #blogyourbackyard

 

Comments

1

Hi cobsilicious,

Congratulations! This ‘Blog your Backyard’ submission has been chosen as one of the 20 winners of an Urban Adventures voucher. Please email Alicia@worldnomads.com to find out how to redeem your experience.

Thanks for being part of our ‘Blog your Backyard’ project and sharing your local knowledge with our community!

Cheers,
Alicia
WorldNomads.com

  travel-competitions Sep 14, 2011 9:44 AM

2

Wow, awesome! Thank you so much!

  Cobs Sep 14, 2011 11:56 AM

3

Another thing to add to the worst list:

Pinoy "Pride".

  Kay May 28, 2013 2:56 PM

4

why filipinos hates indians?
Because they are so boastful is it true and mean?
is it true?

  Asuki Chan Jul 10, 2013 10:36 PM

5

Dear Kay,

I agree with you to a certain extent. Sometimes it is difficult for us to admit when we are doing something wrong. However, we are definitely not the only nation to have that as a weakness!

Sincerely,

Cobs

  cobsilicious Jul 11, 2013 12:01 PM

6

Dear Asuki,

I am not sure where you got the idea that Filipinos hate Indians. While there would almost definitely be some Filipinos who dislike Indians, I feel it is unfair to generalize as it is disrespectful to both Filipinos and to Indians. I know some people of Indian descent, both Indian nationals and Filipinos who have Indian ancestry, and they are all among the best people I have ever met.

Regards,

Cobs

  cobsilicious Jul 11, 2013 12:03 PM

7

Which is the best city for a holiday?
I have been to Philippines a few years ago - I stayed in Angeles for three weeks, I was warned not to walk alone at night as the criminals will rob or injure me, being alone, I decided to frequent restaurants and clubs, at times I walked alone 3.30am to these places and I must say I never had any incidents....is it true that is a bad place for foreigners??? I am planning another trip soon for business and pleasure, please let me hear your ideas and comments.

Regards
Sammy

  Sammy Edwards Mar 19, 2014 11:14 PM

8

Hi Sammy!

Thanks for your interest in my beautiful country.

Angeles, like most cities around the world, is reasonably safe as long as you take normal precautions. I'm glad you didn't encounter any untoward incidents when you were there a few years ago, but I would definitely advise you to be careful and not to walk alone if you're in a dark neighborhood! I don't think Angeles is any more dangerous than most cities, but best to be careful. I'd give you the same advice for any other city here.

Even in the capital of Metro Manila, obvious foreigners can get their share of attention, and I imagine this would be even more true outside the capital. I'm a Filipino of Chinese descent, and almost every time I travel outside of Metro Manila and the nearby provinces I get mistaken for a foreigner. The Philippines is not as much of a melting pot as some other countries. Most of the attention is genuine curiosity or friendliness. But if we Filipinos can get victimized by pickpockets or muggers, then foreigners would make more attractive targets.

So to sum up, I'm not trying to scare you. Angeles is probably just as safe as any other city out there. But, it's still wise to take normal precautions and not to walk around alone late at night in dark, unfamiliar places!

Do let me know if you'd like some ideas on things to do in Angeles, or in nearby cities. You might want to check out Clark in Pampanga, or neighboring provinces like Bataan or Zambales.

Regards,

Cobs

  cobsilicious Mar 25, 2014 2:55 AM

9

I have an opportunity to travel to the Philippines from February to May. Most of the blogs and websites recommend going in the summer. I am considering flying into Cebu and exploring the Central Visayas. What can I expect regarding weather? Will I be disappointed?

  Joy Nov 5, 2014 2:15 AM

10

Hi Joy,

February to May is the peak of summer,and the weather is typically sunny all day. Bring plenty of sunblock and don't stay in the sun too long! It's perfect beach weather, though.

Enjoy!

  cobsilicious Nov 5, 2014 3:54 AM

11

Salamat for a very well written and balanced account about The Philippines. I am hoping to live in The Philippines shortly. I love the life style. My wife to be and I have a house at Mintal, With Mt Appo as the back cloth. I have a 50m swimming pool at my disposal and several other recreational facilities. I enjoy the friendliness of the Filipina and I am made to feel most welcome. I enjoy walking and climbing and seeing the varied scenery. I am a beach lover and enjoy the almost deserted beaches. Wow! over 7,000 islands with lovely beaches guarded by magnificent palm trees.
Now I'm not blinded by my passion for The Philippines for I am aware that there are issues, but boy oh boy the positives far outweigh the negatives. One negative I would like to mention is the sorrowful plight of the young women who leave the country in their drones' to work abroad. They are called 'the heroes.' I call them the martyrs'. Many are abused and many earn a pitiful salary.
Finishing on a positive note though; The Philippines is my kind of place where I can enjoy my kind of life. L

  Graham Jan 17, 2016 10:59 PM

12

I hope to be travelling to The Philippines, mid October. I am getting married. Is it a good time to travel? Also I'm wondering if it is better to purchase an open ticket as I know the marriage process can take a while?

  Graham Jan 17, 2016 11:06 PM

13

Hi Graham! Thank you for your very pleasant comments. Glad to hear you have found love in the Philippines, and that you enjoy how life is here. It's not perfect, but it does have its own charm. You described the beaches very well, and Mount Apo is a beautiful sight too! All the best to you and your future bride.

The Overseas Filipino Worker phenomenon is indeed sad. Hopefully our next batch of leaders can help ease the factors driving people to work abroad.

October is towards the end of the typhoon season. Typhoon Haiyan (locally known as Yolanda) devastated large portions of the Visayas region in early November 2013 . Typhoon Ketsana (locally, Ondoy) rammed through the capital in late September 2009. Keep your travel plans flexible and monitor the news closely. These things can intensify with only a few days' warning. The strong winds and heavy rainfall can cause a lot of destruction.

If your passport allows you to stay in the Philippines for a long time, an open-ended/one-way ticket might be a good idea. It's quite easy to book tickets online and there are many budget airlines operating in the Philippines that can get you to Singapore, Malaysia or Thailand if you need to leave the country to "refresh" your visa.

All the best, Graham! Salamat!

  cobsilicious Jan 18, 2016 12:06 AM

About cobsilicious

Building houses for Gawad Kalinga on beautiful Bantayan Island

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.