Existing Member?

Hunting stories in the Venezuelan jungle. Don't wait up, mom!

Magical realism at its highest point

VENEZUELA | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [421] | Scholarship Entry

After envisioning an attack of people from different worlds, the old shaman of the Caribe tribe sent his young son to the south in order to find the highest mountain to sight a place for shelter. The journey ahead was a long one. The shaman gave his son an odd amulet,a tiny jar filled with healing water.“This will heal all ills you find along the way”, said the wise old man.
Months passed since the Caribes saw the young man undertake his mission deep into the unknown inland.The latter could not find the mountain and started to feel frustrated. Suddenly, a weeping giant eagle arrived, with one wing injured. The man used his amulet to cure it. In exchange, the mythical animal grabbed him and took him to the top of the tepuy. Once there,1000 meters above the jungle, he tripped over a rock, making his amulet fall and shatter. The healing water quickly spread and turned into a beautiful waterfall, a real paradise surrounded by fruits and goodness, the place he and his tribe would make their new home.
“Welcome to Canaima National Park, home of the highest waterfall in the world, the Angel Falls” are the words you hear after the Pemon guide transports you through the fantastic story. Once you hear that, you know this will be a hell of an adventure. You might be wowed by the unbelievable tale but still know that it cannot be real. Once you see the tepuyes, once you stand in front of the falls, you reconsider believing the story. This is actually very unreal. Pure Latin American magical realism right there.
If the landscape were not that incredible, then it would not make sense to ride a curiara –an indigenous boat- for almost four hours. It’s a truly uncomfortable trip. But the effort is totally worth it. The moment you get to the camp and you are guided to your room, an outdoor hammock which moves along the sound of the cascade, surrounded by the most ancient rock formations on Earth, you will certainly thank the wise Caribes and Pemons for welcoming you at their home.
Standing in front of this majestic prehistoric beauty, even though you seem tiny,you feel blessed. I felt eager to discover all the stories hidden in this Conan Doyle-esque scenery. That’s the reason I didn’t settle and I swore to continue writing about this paradise once I got to the highest point of the Auyantepuy, where the healing water accidentally made its magic. I will have to exercise hard to endure a four day climb because I am sure I won’t have the same shaman’s son’s luck, or will I?

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About claroquesilvio


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Venezuela

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.