Existing Member?

Claire's travels A 6 month journey of discovery? A 6 month odyssey to find myself? Or a 6 month holiday?

Days 108 - 121 - The return to Thailand

THAILAND | Tuesday, 10 March 2009 | Views [478] | Comments [1]

We had quite an adventurous trip back to Bangkok. First leg - longtail to the mainland and a minibus to Pakse. In classic Lao style, this all seemed to be rather more complicated than it needed to be. We were the last (naturally) in our minibus, so Ollie squeezed in the back, while I sat next to the driver. Whilst I was quite keen on snoozing, the driver kept jabbing me awake so I could plug his phone into the charger socket for him - every time it rang, he unplugged it again, and he was a very popular guy, so I was kept busy.

 

He wasn’t the greatest driver in the world - he nearly hit a cow that was crossing the road, and then he DID hit a goat - it seemed to survive though.

 

We transferred onto our next bus, which would take us from Pakse to Ubon Ratchathani just over the border to Thailand. I spent the journey saying my goodbyes to Laos - I felt really quite emotional, like it was the end of an era.

 

At the border we had our next adventure - or rather Ollie became a knight in shining armour once again - a German girl on our bus had overstayed her visa, and therefore had to pay a $30 fine. Which would have been fine, had she had any cash. Or had there been an ATM. We pooled her our leftover kip, but the border guards were very unhelpful - there was an ATM on the Thai side of the border, but the German girl couldn’t get across to Thailand. Ollie very kindly ran over to the Thai border, got some cash out and ran back. The German girl was annoying very calm about the whole thing - I felt like there should have been more tears and higher stress levels.

 

Onto our next bus, another overnighter - pretty comfortable this time, but neither of us were feeling particularly sleepy after a day of sitting, and every time we did nod off, the lights would all come on as we arrived at another stop. Most annoying.

 

We arrived in Bangkok, bleary eyed at 6am and headed for Soi Rambutri where our favourite guesthouses were - and this was to be our first mini-separation: I was staying at a slightly higher end guesthouse as Jules was arriving that day for a visit, whilst Ollie was back at his old faithful Apple Guesthouse. We agreed to meet for dinner at 7 - which left about 12 hours APART.

 

Which was all very odd - like missing my right hand or something.

 

I headed out to the airport to meet Jules - after a good old natter and catch up on the way back to Bangkok, we met up with Ollie and had some street food and a beer Chang (which DOESN’T poison me). Jet lag was hitting Jules hard, so she and I headed home at 11 for a very respectable early night.

 

Next day, Jules and I hit the tailors shops so she could get sorted with some new suits for work. After shopping and a massage, it already seemed to be evening, and for my last night with Ollie (sob). We went for some authentic Thai Mexican food, and hit the frozen strawberry margaritas hard. Jules then headed off to bed at about midnight, leaving Ollie and I to have a final drink and a fond farewell. As I was a bit, ummmm, tired and emotional, I cried absolute buckets, but that man of stone shared nary a tear. Heartless.

 

The next day, I girded my shoulders, and after a little more tailoring, Jules and I headed to the airport for our flight to Phuket. We saw an amazing thunderstorm as we took off, and imagine my surprise when I was leafing through the in-flight magazine and saw a picture of my niece Mo, in an advert for the school.

 

On arriving at Phuket, we headed down to Phuket Backpackers - where it all began. I gave ‘our’ dorm a wave, but unfortunately Jules and I were in a really bad room - it was absolutely boiling hot & noisy, so we didn’t get a great nights sleep.

 

Next morning, it was up bright and early to catch the Ferry to Ko Phi Phi. It was an absolutely gorgeous day, and Jules in particular loved sitting on deck watching the world go by. Unfortunately, this was without suntan lotion on, and therefore there was some serious burning involved.

 

We decided to spend just one night on Phi Phi, so we found ourselves a hotel & settled down for a strenuous afternoon of sunbathing followed by a massage on the beach which was gorgeous. After a spot of dinner at our hotel, we headed over to Ao Ton Sai, the main resort, by long tail, where I introduced Jules to the beauty of the vodka bucket.

 

Next day we headed off to Ko Lanta, where we spent the next three nights. We did have some good intentions about doing stuff, but somehow we never quite got round to it and ended up sunbathing for 3 days. Oops. We did see the most amazing sunsets though - the best I’ve seen the whole trip - the sky looked like it was on fire. Absolutely beautiful.

 

On the Saturday, we decided to head to Railay Beach - reputedly the most beautiful in Thailand, and I’m inclined to agree - it’s a lovely stretch of sand surrounded by huge limestone cliffs - although Railay is on the mainland, it’s effectively an island as it’s only accessible by boat. We had a relaxing couple of days here, and on our final night we sat on the beach, watching fireshows and drinking cocktails.

 

Back to Bangkok on the Monday, and after some final fittings at the tailors, we managed a whistlestop tour of some of Bangkok’s sights before Jules left to get her plane home.

 

Alone again, for the first time in two months. It felt quite strange.

 

I had 3 days in Bangkok, and plenty I needed to do, dedicating one day to various admin, one to shopping and one for sightseeing before heading off to Julie & Chris’ for a final goodbye to them & the kids.

 

The circle I began on the 5th November was finishing on the 5th March. A nice symmetry I think.

Comments

1

Do hope you are having a great time in India - so much to see - we found it absolutely fascinating, if dirty!
Julie arrived safely back and was full of her holiday with you which she thoroughly enjoyed - gather the heat ws a bit much, but so far no horrors from all the mosquito bites!

We all admire how intrepid you are, but look forward to seeing you back in the U.K, although I believe you have more plans for travel.

Love Helen and Don

  Helen Mar 11, 2009 8:42 PM

About claire_jefferies


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.