Existing Member?

Heroic Adventures Vlogger CJMoore brings you deep into culture, food, adventure and travel.

The Gringo Shaman of the Amazon

PERU | Monday, 12 March 2012 | Views [4095]

Drawn to the Amazon by the opportunity to study the traditions of Amazonian Medicine Men, or Shamans, Ron Wheelock has lived in Iquitos, Peru since 2000.
 
Over the years he developed into an adept and trusted Medicne Man himself.
 
Today, Ron is known as the Gringo Shaman of the Amazon. 
 
 
Local Peruvians, curious travelers, and those in need of healing come to Iquitos to partake in the Gringo Shaman's twice weekly, Tuesday and Thursday, Ayahuasca ceremonies. Others stay for weeks and find healing through traditional plant diets. 
 
And, a few seekers have even moved to Iquitos for the long-term to become Shaman's themselves in a rigorous apprenticeship that includes learning Icaros--or songs that call in the spirits during ceremonies--dieting, learning the healing powers of various medicinal plants and serving as assistants during ayahuasca ceremonies.
 
Besides being a well-respected Shaman, the Gringo Shaman is one hell of a character....

Going to the Amazon for adventure?

Go deeper, experience traditional worldviews at thte best ayahuasca retreats in South America, find out more here >>>

Tags: amazon, ayahuasca, don agustin rivas vasquez, gringo shaman of the amazon, icaros, iquitos, medicine man, peru, ron wheelock, shamanism

About cjmoore


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.