Existing Member?

Christoph's Travelblog

From summit to sea

KENYA | Monday, 15 November 2010 | Views [453] | Comments [2]

Exactly 10 days ago I stood on the peak of Africa. No words can truly describe the magnificence of the hike and the extraordinary experience of standing at the summit but I will attempt to give you an impression of it in the following.. 

On the first day we got picked up by a shuttle bus that took us from Moshi (800m above sealevel) to the small village of Machame (at 1800m). After meeting the porters (our team including the five of us consisted of 21 people!!) for the first time and getting the last formalities settled (which took a little longer than usual as the power at gone off, and somebody was sent to fetch a generator) we started the hike. On the first the hike led us through a dense rain forest. In the beginning it was very humid and hot but it became gradually colder as we walked higher. In the distance monkeys were crying and birds were chirping. Trees were covered in moss and lianas and every once in a while you would have to crawl over a decaying log. I always kept pushing myself to walk slower than a actually wanted to, using taking pictures as an excuse to stop. As I had no idea how my body would react to the altitude I thought it was probably the most sensible thing to do. My guide Stephen totally agreed: "Is good to walk pole pole (slowly) on mountain".. so that's what I did. You couldn't help to feel sorry for the porters who were carrying a lot of things (including all our tents, cooking equipment etc etc)and I would show them my respect by telling them "Pole", which basically means: " I am sorry for you to have to do more work than normally necessary". The usual reply would be : "Asante" (thank you) or if I looked especially tired: "Na wewe pija" or "Na wewe pole" (The same to you ;) ).  Arriving at Machame Hut, our first camp it started raining and we had to seek shelter in our (which were already set up thanks to our kind porters!) I hoped it wouldn't rain more on our hike but I did look forward to snow in higher altitudes. On the first day we had increased altitude by a whopping 2200 m and I still felt great. My spirits were high for the following days.

On day two the landscape had already changed completely. The big trees and dense forest disappeared to give way for moss covered rocks, cactus-like plants and smaller shrubs. The path was winding and steep. Rocks were treacherous and slippery due to the rain that had fallen the previous day. Extra care had to be taken not to lose sight of the group as we were quickly concealed in a dense fog, normally described as clouds. The camp, Shira hut (3800m), was also completely concealed in clouds and the guide deemed it to be too dangerous to go on a half day (acclimatisation) excursion to the Shira caves. Therefore the group and I decided to spent the day playing cards, drinking tea and coffee and eating basically :-)


On day three I woke up before dawn as I had slept badly the entire night and decided to go for a walk. I was exhilarated when I say the sun rising just above the beautiful ice covered summit which was completely free of clouds. I couldn't wait to be up there myself!
Day three is probably the most important day of the hike apart from summit day, naturally ;-) the trail leads through a high altitude, snow blown  desert  up to a natural monument called the Lavatower at an intense 4700m. After consuming lunch at this high altitude the path winds through a gorgeous canyon sprinkled with small encalves of green plants and waterfalls to Barranco camp at 3900m. This is the key to why the Machame route has a higher success rate. Climbing to a very high altitude at such an early stage signals to the brain to produce more red blood cells in order to cope with the lack of oxygen at the high altitude. The view from Barrancu was absolutely stunning. When we arrived the summit was clearing and we looked down on a fluffy candyfloss blanket of clouds beneath us. At night the clouds would disappear and the town of Moshi would have a twinkling competition  with the stars.

Day four included the most challenging and simultaneously the most fun hike of the all (so far). It led up the Barrancu wall which at some points was at an angle of 60-70 degrees and took some arm power to overcome. The trail led up and down several times this day again allowing the body to get used to high altitudes. Karranga hut was again at 3900m and I could feel my body getting used to this altitude feeling stronger than ever ;) We went on a small day excursion to 4200m where I built my own little rock-tower monument to please all the coming generations of hikers. When the summit is clear and you sit in the right angle the peak of my rock tower reaches the peak of the summit.. ok I will have to show you pictures of that as soon as I have proper internet!
The sunset over the clouds at Karranga was magnificent painting the summit in reddish pink colours.

Day 5 we hiked to Barrancu (snow/ice) camp at 4600m. The landscape was desert like again and the clouds swept through camp ever so often. I was getting quite nervous and could tell that the other members of the group were too. We got a last briefing of Stephen before going to bed at 5 o clock pm.

Summit night! We were woken up at 11 o clock pm. I hadn't slept at all, too anxious to rest. The fact that my tent-buddy Harriet was perfectly asleep and breathing deeply made my even more nervous: why couldn't I fall asleep? Luckily I heard the guys in the other tents turning and talking: I wasn't the only one who couldn't sleep.
And then it was time: I put on 4 layers of clothes (it gets as cold a -20 degrees C at night!) drank a cup of tea and ate a biscuit. Off we hiked towards the summit.
It is difficult to describe exactly what I felt. I was very tired due to the lack of sleep, awed by the beauty of the night sky and Moshi beneath us, my feet were freezing and my mood went from being very happy and making jokes, to not being able to move and having to sit on the next rock due to oxygen deprivation.  One thing I know for sure: it was a good thing that we walked by night and couldn't see how far we still had to go. I tried to concentrate on walking one foot at a time, trying not to stumble or fall. Our guide Stephen but especially Rich, the assistant guide were very motivating and helped us keep going. All of us were very tired except for Maria, the Swiss girl, who seemed completely unaffected by the altitude. She was probably the main motivating factor of the group, joking, singing and hugging people when they needed it. Looking back I was probably quite lucky. Yeah I was tired (my legs have never felt as heavy before!) but at least I wasn't nauseous, didn't have a headache and didn't get an edema. When we reached Stella point, which is located at the crater rim I got an energy boost. From here it is only less than an hour to the summit. I walked pole pole, one step at the time, stopping every 5 steps to catch my breath, getting Rich to take pictures for me because I was just to tired. And then: There it was in the distance. The world famous signpost I had been walking to wards for 6 days. What happened with my body is difficult to explain. Tears filled my eyes, endorphins and adrenalin were pumped into my blood making otherworldly happy. I was so exhausted but still I had all the strength in the world to walk now that I was almost there. I walked towards it the sun rose and drenched the summit with all the beautiful glaciers in beautiful colours. I stayed on the summit for at least half an hour. Stephen had to drag me down again. I could have stayed there forever! The roof of Africa!

After this extraordinary experience at the summit we still had to walk down. When we finally reached camp (blisters covering my feet and my knees hurting badly as soon as the adrenalin had worn off) we had walked a total of 15 hours since midnight! At camp we celebrated and the following day walked all the way down to receive our diplomas.
We celebrated once more with our porters and guides inviting them to the moonshine brew: banana beer and some kiti moto (fried pork). They all appreciated this gesture and it was a perfect end to a perfect week.

Climbing Kilimanjaro is probably at the same time the hardest thing I have ever put my body through and the best thing I've ever done. Having climbed Kili I feel I can do anything. I've been on top of the world already so every thing else should be a piece of cake, right? ;-) I am happy I pulled it through even though it was hard at times and I thank my group for that as well. I consider myself very lucky to have found these people. We had great fun together and I hope that I will go on more adventures with these guys in the future!

What happened after Kili then.. well since then I've been on a safari in the Serengeti and Ngorongoro which was a perfect reward. There was nothing better than just being able to sit in a while watching nature and animals walking by outside. And we (Rif and Jen who I met at the hostel and who were on Kili at the same time with another group) were very lucky as well. We saw all Big 5 as well as 3 cheetas, crocs, hippos and a serval cat. The absolute highlights were the leopard 10 m from the car eating a kill in a tree, the elephant bull drinking water from our water tank at camp and the wild boar ripping open my tent to steel some non existing food from my tent :)

Now I am in Mombasa planning on going to the city center today (the backpackers is located a bit out of town!) Yesterday I spent the day at a luxurious resort at the beach. Some Americans (from the hostel) and me just walked into the resort, claimed some chairs and were even offered towels and tea. The animation team invited us to play beach and water volleyball with them.. Nobody asked us if we actually live at the resort.. In a way it is reverse racism because they just assume we must be rich because we are white (even though I was wearing a very dirty t-hirt and smelled a little bit of sweat ;) but you know what, I don't care. We had a great day at the beach :-)

My plan now is to go to Lamu island, which is supposed to be the Zanzibar of Kenya.. :-) I think I really need a hot beach after the cold mountain :-)

 

Comments

1

You did it, congratulations!!!!
It sounds absolutely fantastic :-) Can't wait to see some pictures.
Have fun on Lamu, but take care.
Big hug
MU10

  MU10 Nov 16, 2010 7:44 AM

2

Hi Chris,

Hope you are well and enjoying.
Got your site from your Mummie .) In Ponta and diving and its amazing. Been diving with Sharks with Rupert and som Frenchies. WOW! You have to come back so we can go diving!

Jenny

Big Kisses

  Jenny Stromvoll Dec 4, 2010 2:05 AM

About christoph_j


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.