Existing Member?

A geek's wanderings

On the hunt for booze in Marrakesh

MOROCCO | Friday, 2 May 2014 | Views [182] | Scholarship Entry

It had been about a week since my last pint, and without sounding like an alky, I could do with a drink. Morocco was amazing, but long bus rides in agonizing heat had taken it's toll.
Now that I was in Marrakesh I wanted to find a nice little bar, have a cold pint and relax. I wasn't alone in this, as Pablo an Italian staying at my hostel wanted to join me, and also to prowl for ladies.
Finding booze in the old town was unlikely, so we headed for the newer part of the city, while I taught Pablo English slang. The new part of town was a different world to the hustle and bustle of the Medina where we were staying. The whole place had a more European vibe, with tall buildings, wide roads and bad driving.
We passed by a McDonalds, where a crowd of teenagers hung out, chatting away. There were lots of girls about, and many without the head coverings I'd gotten used to.
A pretty young local smiled at me as we passed, and startled I did my best to return a grin that wasn't sleazy. I think I succeeded, as she kept smiling.
Our quest for booze didn't go to well, there were lots of restaurants, but they looked pricey, and I doubt I was the clientele they wanted- shorts and 2 weeks of facial hair had left me looking especially scruffy.
The bar we found was a small, dirty looking place that seemed more like a greasy spoon cafe, and was crowded with guys watching French football.
I took a seat at the bar, ordering bottles of Flag, the local beer. I fell into conversation with a young lad who looked local but turned out to be an American in town visiting his uncle, who looked like the sort of bloke who knew how to get dirty deeds done dirt cheap. We chatted over a few beers, our American friend telling tall tales about dating an NFL cheerleader.
The place was dead, and a sausage fest and Pablo's libido was making him restless, so we followed directions to a basement bar.
Making our way downstairs we found ourselves in a murky, sleazy little bar where a music duo seemed to have stepped out of the 80s- white shirts, ponytails and goatees while they banged out cheesy Europop on a knackered Casio.
Sipping my beer I realized something was off.
While there were girls present they appeared to hover about before swooping in to flirt with the old guys. They'd giggle and dance while the dudes bought them expensive cocktails.
The drinks were clearly there to appease the owners. We were witnessing ladies of the night at work. We had one last pint and hit the road.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About chrishmpage


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.