Existing Member?

chinapies

This is a what.

CHINA | Thursday, 6 September 2007 | Views [690] | Comments [1]

Sorry for the long post folks! It's day three now, and my first class is only two and a half hours away. Am I nervous? *%#* yes. Why am I nervous? Here's the story to date.

Day #1 (Monday)

Okay so I wander into the classroom at 1:30. There's nobody there. Apparently class starts at 2:00. Flang. Well, that's cool, I can write some stuff up on the blackboard (that's right, a blackboard. I haven't seen a blackboard since I was in primary school in Fiji. Serious deja-vu goin' on here.) So I scribble some stuff on the board, and include a smiley face for good measure.

As you might be able to surmise, I have no idea what I am doing.

But that's cool too. I will admit, I had put together a lesson plan, but it went along the lines of 'Go to class, teach some English, come back home.' I like to keep things simple, you see.

Today was going to just be an introductions day, plus something random like “What you do you like about learning English?” I am assuming of course that the kiddies will have already spent some time learning English in high school. (And, can you believe it, they have! Prior to taking English at SNU, they have all studied our crazy language for 6 years or more already!  And, I was to discover, they can tell their verbs and adverbs apart!  So who the heck was gonna be teaching who here?)

I twiddle my thumbs for a bit longer. Then I pace up and down the classroom. Then I make an adjustment to the smiley face (I gave him some hair, so that he wouldn't look like me). Pace up and down again. Look at my watch. 1:32. Somehow, when you are nervous, time doesn't actually, like, go any more.

At about 1:50 (which easily felt like three hours later), the first student came in. “Hullo?” she says. “Yo, howsit goin'?” I reply. Real smooth. She smiles nervously, then runs to the back of the classroom so she can be as far away from me as possible.

The next victim wanders in. This time I reply with a “Hello. How are you?” He doesn't seem too scared by my response. I'll stick with being normal from now on, I think.

The classroom fills up. There's a grand total of 35 kids, which is a lot, man... Suddenly a bell rings. How many Universities do you know of have bells for Pete's sake?? First a blackboard, then a bell. When I was at primary school, Mom used to make me tinned-mushroom-and-vegemite sandwiches for lunch. I had quite deliberately forgotten about these abominations, until now. Stupid bell.

Well I guess we better get started!” I say. However, I will soon learn that what the students probably heard was: “W'llagessw'b'trgusstar dead”. The students turn to one another and whisper furiously. I do believe they were wondering whether I was their teacher, or just a funny-looking student who spoke very poor Mandarin.

Hi everybody,” I say. “My name is Andy and I - “

Excuse me!” comes a voice from the back of the class.

- come from yes?”

Laughter. Apparently I now come from Yes. Flang.

Can you pl-ease eh-speak slow?” the student asks haltingly.

Ah, right. This I can do.

“Sure. Thing.” I reply. “My. Apologies. You. See. Where. I. Come. From. People. Speak. Very. Quickly. (pausepause) And. I. Speak. Very. Quickly. Even. For. A. New. Zealander. (pausepausepause) Many. People. Think. I. Am. A. Retard. Because. I. Speak. Too. Fast.”

No laughter from the class.

Great.

Day #2 (Tuesday)

Lesson plan – check. Water bottle – check. Keeping-my-stoopid-jokes-to-myself – check.

Today was going to be a little bit of a challenge. Yesterday's classes were easy to deal with, because introductions ain't too difficult, and consume lots of time. Today, however, I had to create some actual content. So I made up some stuff about how to have a conversation (I really, really have no idea what I am doing), and threw in some pronunciation and grammar exercises as well. My “Elements of conversation” section of the class had things like “statements, questions, opinions, facts”, plus a bunch of other stuff which I truly am an expert on. Like hell.

And it was during this section where things turned fun.

Okay, Glacier... can you give me an example of a question?”

Glacier stood up. Glacier is not her real name, by the way. One of these days I will be able to pronounce her real name, and maybe then everyone won't laugh when I do. (Additionally, 'Glacier' is not the most interesting name in my class. I also have a Fox, Tiger, Fly, Deity, and good ol' Stonk. And although these may seem strange to you, please remember that my nickname is Pies, and to some people (Doctor Love), Pies is actually my real name. So I ain't fazed by no 'Stonk' in my classroom.)

Back to Glacier.

Do you think she is very pretty?” Glacier asked, pointing at the girl in front of her. Remarkably, the girl in front retained her composure.

Er, very good, that's a great example of a question, Glaci - ”

Answer the question!” said Glacier, and this was an order.

- huh?” Okay, what the heck was I supposed to do? “Er, sure! Yes, I think you all look very pretty - ”

Do you have a wife?” asked someone else.

That's also an excellent example of a question! And to answer it, no, I don't have a - ”

Do you have girlfriend?” “How old are you?” “When are you get married?” “Where are you get married?” “Why are you not get married yet?” “If you are not married yet, what kind of girl you will marry?” “Why you not married your girlfriend?” “Can I marry you?”

Flang. Okay, if that wasn't bad enough, where things really turned to custard was when I decided to play the 'this-is-a-what' game. For those of you who have no idea what this game entails, let me fill you in:

Take an item, say, a pencil. Pass it on to the person next to you and say “This is a pencil.” The person next to you replies, “A what?” You repeat: “A pencil”. The person next to you then says, “Oh, a pencil,” and then relieves you of said object. You can then add more items in order to turn this fun and exciting game into something even more fun and exciting.

So I hand a packet of Pringles to Harry (Potter, by the way, in case you were curious...). “This is some Pringles,” I say.

Harry looks at me blankly.

Okay, now you say, 'a what?'”

Pringles!” he says excitedly.

No no, you say 'a what?'”

Pringles!”

Needless to say, after watching these items get bandied about the room at random to cries of “A what!” and “a Pringletowelpenumbrella, ahahahahaha!”, I decided that this game a) sucked, and b) sucked hard. I won't even mention the “Nuclear Bunker” debate that followed.

Day #3 (Wednesday)

(This bit was written well after I began the post... apologies for the discrepancy!)

In theory, today was gonna be good. I had learned many lessons from yesterday's debacle (those poor, poor kids) and was set to improve on them all.

And guess what! The day actually worked out really well! I actually sounded like I knew what I was talking about, and the kids seemed to have a blast! We even managed to play Pictionary for a bit, although the large-group Chinese whispers fell apart real fast when the kiddies discovered they could just yell the answer to the person up the front. Oh well.

Pies out.

Pies noodles of the day: In keeping with my time-honoured tradition of assessing food quality (in particular, pastries), I have transferred my vast ability in this area to the equivalent staple of China. That's right, I am referring to the packet of instant noodles. (The Chinese, unfortunately, do not have a taste for mince-and-cheese-packed pastry... yet.)

Today's choice is called “Green-and-yellow-with-blurry-chicken”.

These noodles had a texture that reminded me of chewing cardboard as a child. This would be fine, if it weren't for the fact that the flavour of these noodles also resembled that of said childhood cardboard. I give these noodles two thumbs down.

I also had the opportunity to review some instant vermicelli, however I forgot to take a photograph before consumption. Be thankful. This vermicelli was so bad that we couldn't even convince the crickets that live in Lindsay's bathroom to consume any. Which was a bad sign, considering that these crickets consumed everything from Lindsay's washing machine hose to the, er, stuff that was under her bathmat.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Still reading...
Accurate portrayal.....
De ja vu....

  Alan Sep 9, 2007 7:58 PM

About chinapies


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.