Existing Member?

Intrepidone1

Penang Malaysia to Krabi Thailand

THAILAND | Saturday, 11 September 2010 | Views [5599] | Comments [4]

Well the journey from Penang to Krabi was done by Shuttle bus. The bus turned up at 8.30 in the morning. It was basically a minivan with air cond and about 8 cramped seats. There were a few fat Chinese on board who seemed to feel they had the right to spread themselves over the little space on board.

Its funny how a little space to put your legs can be all important on a trip like this. The bloke next to me had commandeered the spot where I could put my right leg so I had to put bot legs into the spot on my left. I decided first stop I would get back in early to get my right leg into his spot next time in.

Fortunately I got it so he had to spend the trip in the same position I was in when I first got on. Ha ha ha.

The trip involved stopping at the border in Kanger PadngBesar and get our passports stamped for outgoing before crossing the border and processing incoming to Thailand at Padang Besar. This was a straight forward process but as I am traveling overland only a 14 day visa is issued at the border. If I had traveled by Plane a 30 day visa is issued on entry, so my sojourn into Thailand will have to be a quick one. The plan is to travel up to Bangkok then cross over to Cambodia before my time is up. I can then come back in again at a latter time. You can do this as many times as you like but not spend more than 90 days in Thailand in total unless you apply to get a longer term visa.

Once over the border we continued onto Hat Yai the most major southern most town in the country.

Apparently Hat Yai and surrounding provinces have been known for violence between Muslim and Buddhist communities with insurgent bombings gang shootings and even be-headings. In 2006 there was a bomb attack here and at the airport where a Canadian tourist was also killed. Anyway not the safest place to hang my hat so I was glad to be moving on.

I had to wait here for about an hour before a sawngthaew, which is a small open truck with bench seats and a little roof on top for cover turned up. This I wasn’t prepared for and as no one spoke English wasn’t sure what I was in for. I certainly hoped I wasn’t traveling the rest of the way in this thing. To my relief I was dropped off at another bus station where I got in another mini van to complete my journey onto Krabi arriving around 5 pm in the afternoon.

 

Comments

1

Hi, I've just read your blog and my other half and I are doing the same trip in reverse on Saturday, could you tell me where the bus arrives in Penang? so where you left from? We don't arrive til 7pm and would like to find somewhere close by to crash for the night :) look forward to hearing from you :)

  Bex Sparks Oct 27, 2011 3:55 AM

2

Hi there Bex,
I really cant remember where it was now. When your moving around, often it's hard to know where the hell you are. I remember this leg was pretty difficult though as both the start point from KL and end point required departing /terminating from outside the main cities. I had to get on a bus in KL that took me to a terminal about an hour out of town and from there it was a coach up to Georgetown. Again in GT the terminal was out of town and after walking around with no luck I had to get a taxi and ask the driver to take me to where I wanted to go.
If your going Penang to KL then I suggest you ask around. I had the latest Lonely Planet but the info was all wrong. Book ahead your accomodation in Georgetown and where ever you get dropped off you might have to get a taxi to take you there. The Hutton lodge was the best I found, Really clean and fantastic location. You really must book this place ahead though as its popular. BTW I booked it for 2 nights and wanted to stay longer but they were solidly booked a week ahead so had to move on. Their really friendly so should be able to point you in the right direction for a bus out of town. Here's a link to their website-

http://huttonlodge.com/index.asp

Good luck and let me know how you get on.
Kind Regards Paul :-)

  chilleep Oct 27, 2011 11:13 AM

3

Hello, Sir:

I am really happy that you had a wonderful trip like what you said above. And here, I also have a bit question may need your help. I am also planing to go to Krabi from Penang at the end of this year. And I really have no idea where got the direct bus from Penang to Krabi.

I mean, did you catch a coach direct from Penang to Krabi? Or you got transfer from Hat Yai at the mid point again, then caught up another Thailand local bus from Hat Yai to Krabi?

Really appreciate for your help & wish you have a good night!

Regards,
Joe

  Joe Oct 15, 2012 11:51 PM

4

Hi Joe,
I had to get a bus from Penang to Hat Yai then change over to another mini bus to get to a small terminal on the outskirts of town where I boarded a larger coach bus to take me to Krabi town.
I arranged the whole journey with change over's in Penang before I left.

  Paul Oct 16, 2012 4:42 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.