Existing Member?

ChaChi Loves...

That Funky Melbourne

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 25 April 2014 | Views [124] | Scholarship Entry

I was so excited to be in this so called "funky town"
I couldn't believe how I finally found a beautiful city that oozed with flair and honesty.
Living in the big smoke of Sydney for 7 years I was used to seeing the hard knock city life hustle and bustle, where people were too busy in their own lives to stop and notice the beauty surrounding them.
To me Melbourne seemed like a more youthful and happier brother of Sydney. It was all the same high rise buildings and street lights on every corner, with people spilling onto the road waiting to cross. Yet I still felt a sense of joy and serenity being in this city. The buildings were funkier, Art of all kinds were accepted and embraced and most of all the people seemed a lot happier. I knew I was in for an amazing day.
Being the explorer that I am, I had no Itinerary. Going wherever my feet would take me I stumbled upon a very stunning Cathedral, called St Paul's anglican cathedral. It seemed quite right for a spiritual girl like me. I was captured by the engaging spirit one would feel as soon as you stepped in the doors. Covered in robust sculptures and beautiful glass stained windows. I could really sense the the history and enchanting spirit this cathedral held. It really started my day off on a lovely high.
I then walked around the streets noticing the liveliness of all the people, even those less fortunate. One thing I really enjoyed was seeing how giving the people were here. Very embracing of one an-others strengths and talents. From the street venders, to street artists, buskers and even the homeless. Every which way I turned there was always somebody flaunting what they loved to make a buck or two and receiving that same amount of love back. Not only was the talent quite up there, but it was definitely astounding to see each talent no matter what being recognised by others no matter who, black, white, big and small, tourist or local. It was definitely an inspiration to see such happiness circling its way around this city.
My feet were starting to get quite tired and I was feeling a bit peckish. Swifting my way through the back streets, I was slowly discovering all the hidden gems lurking in the backgrounds of Melbourne. I suddenly found the one I had been for searching for my whole life. It was Hosier Lane. The best Graffiti Lane way in the world. There's no place like it. Graffiti splattered onto every inch of wall there was. I was in awe and all I could think was How did I end up here?

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About chachikotiro


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.