Existing Member?

How Did I Get Here?

To Begin With, Why Am I Traveling Around the World...?

USA | Saturday, 1 February 2014 | Views [474] | Comments [9]

My first Round The World (RTW) map dates back to September 2008. At that time, I had already been planning to take a RTW trip for almost 10 years so I guess it’s been about 15 years now that I’ve been dreaming of doing this.

I’ve always wanted to see the world; so many different places, it seems exhausting. It seems like getting a lot of them out of the way all at once kind of makes sense. It might be cheaper. More efficient. And also more hectic. More exhausting.

If I don't go, I ask myself, would I regret it on my death bed? Maybe. Maybe? Yes! I should do this so I have no regrets. So I have that super special feeling that I made my dream come true, come to life. 

I want the experience of knowing how long term travel changes my perspective and expectations of the world. I want to be changed in a way I only suspect is possible. I hope to find a certain amount of purpose in life by getting away from my routine life.

I so cherish the differences other cultures bring. And you can’t truly experience other cultures if you don’t go where they are and experience them. Soak them up. Maybe that’s the reason I have always wanted to go. I just want to experience the variety of cultures the world has to offer.

For so long, fear held me back. I always imagined another person would come along that wanted to go with me. But that person never materialized. At some point, I had to commit to going anyway. To totally put my life on hold. My relationship with my boyfriend. Leave behind all my possessions and my home. And to realize that it's not really that dangerous. Lots of people are doing it. And I can’t let not having a companion stop me from living my dream. I have to go where life takes me.

About 2 years ago, I finally decided it was about time to pull the trigger and I told a lot of people that I was going to go. But there were still obstacles with my finances and my house and for awhile my plans seem to be diverted yet again.

But I continued to pay off all my debt, and in 2012 I accomplished that goal. And then I thought, maybe this dream really can come true. And then in 2013, it all started falling into place.

In addition to really saving a LOT of money last year, BootsNAll's RTW in 30 Days planning guide came into my e-mailbox.  This is a program where BootsNAll sends you a new e-mail everyday for 30 days with another step in the planning process. This helped me tremendously to see how much money I would really need to save, to decide where did I really want to go, and to figure out what steps I neeed to take to get there.

As the plan came together, I realized, with the technology and cell phones, etc. that have come into existence, it's not so hard to go it alone. With tools like this blog, I get to take everyone with me in a way. And yet have the thrilling experience of doing it alone.

After years of dreaming, and a year of planning and saving, I am now just a few days away from departure. What glorious adventure awaits?

I can only imagine.

I'm oh so excited and a little bit anxious. But either way, the tickets are bought and the hostel arrangements made. I'm getting on the plane.

I'm going to see how it goes...

 

Tomorrow, I'll tell you where I'm going and what I'm taking in my suitcase.

 

Comments

1

Congrats Carrie! Enjoy your travels, and thank you for sharing your dream with us! Xoxoxo

  Lynn Ann Feb 3, 2014 12:16 PM

2

Love that you've made this happen and that you're blogging. So happy we're your first stop - see you soon!!

  Marcia Feb 3, 2014 12:26 PM

3

So proud of you!

  Audra Feb 3, 2014 1:28 PM

4

We wish you well. We will be reading your Blog everyday. Enjoy!
Aunt Mary Ann and Uncle Ed

  Ed and Mary Ann Tamm Feb 4, 2014 4:41 AM

5

Follow your dreams!!!!!

  Greg Feb 5, 2014 1:45 AM

6

I'm so excited for you. Hope to meet you in Casablanca with your Dad in July! Love You

  Martha DeMond Feb 5, 2014 4:23 AM

7

Living vicariously through you! Always hoped it would be me going with you but I'm.so excited to read about it. Don't forget to take some time from your itinerary to just have fun!

  jean Feb 6, 2014 12:21 PM

8

Dear Carrie:
I really feel proud of you.
When a friend follow his/her dreams is the best thing can happen.
Congratulations, and thank you for update and share your status and position LOL...
enjoy your trip and see you soon.
Best Regards.

  Esteban Feb 7, 2014 3:54 AM

9

I hope you have the best of times and I'm sure if nothing else you will have the most amazing stories to tell!

  Teeya Feb 7, 2014 1:02 PM

About cfitchey

Ephesus Turkey

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.