Existing Member?

Take-Aways

The Beijing Olympics

CHINA | Monday, 11 August 2008 | Views [694]

Finally the Olympics have started. We are all cought up in the excitement of the city. Gone are the complaints about lengthy and laborious visa procedures, extra security checks and policemen at every corner. Foreign faces are again on the rise and bandanas, flags or stickers on the face are de rigueur.

Beijing has put on its party face and everything is coming together as China dreamt.....except perhaps the weather. Not a blue sky in site. Yet again, nature proves that with the best planning in the world, not everything can be controlled.

There is not an office building or shopping centre that does not have a board that tallies the medal count for all to follow. There is not a street or street corner without a volunteer. Some are sponsor-attired, others are the official BOCOC volunteers. Regardless they are everywhere. I have been told that some sponsors - naming no names have closed their offices for the duration of the games and have asked their employees to man the streets. Does that still come under voluntary service? Probably, as everyone is happy to help and get involved somehow.

Tian An Men square was closed off completely in the run up to the games and the day of the opening was a public holiday. But the other night everyone seemed to have assembled there for a stroll. And on the night of the opening the firecrackers lit the the sky as bright as daylight.

Not everyone watched it. There were taxis and people still in the street at 5 minutes to the opening. And at the end, in our area around the Forbidden city, everybody poured out to catch whatever they could of the pandemonium of fire. Not that we could go anywhere near, as policemen were bloking the way to the square. Part of the exemplary crowd control in evidence everywhere.  

On Sunday I was able to catch site of the flame, the cube and the birds nest since we had tickets to the water polo. We watched Canada vs. Spain, Hyngary vs. Montenegro (both of which had a huge turnout of nationally attired supporters) and Germany vs. Serbia. But for a last minute change of schedule, we would have watched Greece vs. Australia. But it was not to be.

The atmosphere in the natatorium was great until we were submerged in Hungarians. There were drum players for the intervals and then the mascots made an appearance, which was fun. Beijing has yet to find its trademark sound though like the sirtaki was in the Athens Games. It will come!

At any rate, looking forward to more events next weekend. Watch this space!!!

 

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.