Existing Member?

One Authentic Life

Oh Crepe!

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [516] | Comments [8] | Scholarship Entry

I am a supporter of the philosphy `If you fail to plan, you plan to fail’.I once Google Street Viewed my entire way around Paris before arriving at Charles De Gaulle.

However, despite lengthy travel research, things can go downhill or downpour…very quickly.

Last autumn I bought a train ticket and headed off from Victoria Station in London to Brighton. I pre booked my accommodation on Airbnb. I quickly unpacked and in the hurry to head off and fully explore Brighton, I swung around too enthusiastically and my protruding umbrella whacked a lamp off a side table. It flew across the room and smashed into pieces. I stepped outside and was greeted with a DOWNPOUR. Great…

Despite this I was determined to still see the city; unfortunately my flimsy, floral umbrella didn’t agree with my sentiments. I walked, and walked and walked…. and, at some point I realised that I was totally lost. (I’m convinced that there is some invisible magnetic field that absorbs one’s natural sense of direction in Brighton). I was hungry, lost, and my umbrella had decided to turn itself into an inside-out contraption. I hauled out my phone in an attempt to locate myself but was unable to see through the pestering rain droplets continuously congregating on my screen. I declared an emergency but sadly nobody was nearby to assist! I became a woman on a mission. Find warmth and shelter from the brumous clouds and rain. Fast!

I noticed onion domes jutting up across the skyline. Was it a mirage caused by the extreme cold and an insufficient intake of caffeine? No, it was in fact, the bulbous Indo-Islamic domes of the Royal Pavilion. An exotic palace in the middle of British Brighton?! Bright colours, glistening crystals, the Indian architecture with opulent Chinese interiors make this a fun, frivolous feast for the eyes.

After perusing the palace, I found myself transported to a palace of another kind – a palatial pancake place, The Creperie. Batter hitting the sizzling butter was a most welcome aroma to my nearly frozen nose. This palace was not clad with gold trimmings, but, what was on offer was like gold to me. Crepes, and not just any crepes, a combination of French haute cuisine and quirky British style. A crepe fit for royalty arrived oozing with nutella and caramelised banana from its sides. I devoured this pancake with a ferocity that left the waitron with a transfixed glare…Oh crepe, it was good!

When travel plans go awry, make memories out of mishaps.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

Comments

1

love this piece
'Crepe', it's sounds like quite a day !!!!!
You always manage to get my attention with words
X

  Lauren Mungur May 27, 2015 3:05 AM

2

Awesome!!! Beautifully written and so funny:)

  carlin May 27, 2015 3:59 AM

3

Awesome post ! Loved it , even read it twice !

  anonymous May 27, 2015 4:57 AM

4

Its so so cute and beautiful said. Love it.

  Judi May 29, 2015 9:30 PM

5

A witty article! I enjoyed it.

  Jean Logens Jun 11, 2015 5:45 AM

6

'Flipped funny. Exude then pun. Finally some humour and realism. I can totally relate, traveling isn't always perfect.

  Sha Mercado Jun 11, 2015 5:51 AM

7

Thank you all for the kind words and comments. Cayly x

  cayly Jun 18, 2015 8:34 PM

8

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has had travel plans not go according to plan. Haha! Those are the best moments though, the unplanned ones. I love how your article sums this up perfectly. 'Make memoirs out of mishaps'

  Rudi H Jun 22, 2015 5:37 AM

About cayly

Hello world!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.