Existing Member?

Cassie De Colling

Arnhem Land Adventure

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 23 September 2011 | Views [2173] | Comments [1]

As part of my World Nomads film-making scholarship I travelled to East Arnhem Land in the Top End of Australia. What an amazing place!

Our trip was broken into visiting a indigenous community called Niynikay. Which is a small family that live about 350km on a hellish 4WD track from Nhulunbuy. The family live a semi traditional life. Which means although they have a generator to provide power to run lights at night. They mostly use traditional means of hunting and gathering to live their everyday life. We learnt about certain "bush medicines" and spent a whole day weaving baskets with the woman elders who told use fascinating stories about the land and life. After a cruisy couple of days we set out on the real adventure!

Scrambling back into the 4WD from hell we took bounced back to town to meet the Dhimurru Land Management Rangers. This mob works with the Yolngu aboriginal traditional owners to preserve, protect and conserve parts of Arnhem Land. As part of our trip we were going to help them pick up marine debris and ghost nets that wash up on the pristine coastlines of Cape Arnhem.

So we set out on the bumpy track once again. I was certain my camera was going to have a line of dead pixels through it from all of the knocks it had taken on along the way. we drove and drove and drove, deeper and deeper and deeper into the bush until we hit the ocean! We set up camp and pretty much got straight to work on the beach. Over three days we pulled up 750KG of rubbish, countless amounts of plastic water bottles, thongs and fishing nets. It was devastating to see how much rubbish actually washed up on the beaches and more devastating to know that none of the rubbish came from the local area. Most of it floats through the currents from South East Asia and then washes up on these remote beaches - unbelievable. According to the Land Management team they pick up about 4 tonnes of marine debris every year! 

Now I am back in Melbourne. I've just finished going through all the footage I shot and have started the editing process. Because we didn't have power when we were away filming was even more challenging than usual. Having to conserve batteries and cards was something I learnt how to do very quickly! So, look out for the video its coming soon!

Tags: arnhem land, dhimurru land management, marine debris, national geographic, worl nomads, world expeditions

Comments

1

Well , Cassie your pieace seemS to be intresting to me .Can you produce a beautiful picture of a familly at Arnhem ? 2. Produce a nice picture on Arnhem cultural civilisation or growth can you ? 3.And another picture about the suburbs can you .?
I am expecting to read back from you and do forward your email address too.
it is me Jeem Rhajit

  Jeem Rhajit Nov 9, 2011 12:33 AM

About cassiedecolling

Filming Dolphins in Western Australia

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.