Existing Member?

The excitement is not always about the destination but the adventure of how you get there!

1 off the Bucket List of Travel: Africa (Nairobi, Kenya)

PAPUA NEW GUINEA | Thursday, 31 July 2014 | Views [616]

In my Kenya Souvenirs

In my Kenya Souvenirs

Even today 2 weeks later, I still can not believe that I have travelled to the other side of the world from where I am typing from.  I never thought I'd ever see the other side, let alone a continent that is so close to heart as it is also known as 'our mama land'.

And it is all thanks to the internet and the wonderful, endless opportunities that await people to just seize!

Many times people get told about opportunities butt then think - hmm.. i don't think I can do this or that - or maybe I'll tell someone else about it.

I've been down that track many times but many a time I find that sometimes people you tell and think that they will go for that opportunity have that same thought and so we go about missing so many opportunities.

And it was all to do with blogging - blogging? what's blogging? I knew the word but never really dived into it, fear of the unknown - what if.

So when this opportunity of a competition to win some couple of EUROS come up - I thought - well it wouldn't help but try.

Well I didn't win the EUROS, or be in the finalists (http://yobloco.info) but I got to travel to Nairobi, Kenya to attend the prize giving ceremony as one of the few competition participants in the region (Pacific) and as an 'encouragement' to keep blogging.

You can read about it on my blog - which I created specifically for this competition and now it has become a regular part of my 'online' life.

http://agriculture.caitservicespng.com/category/fin4ag-2014/

 

This category talks about the Conference in Nairobi and also my experiences travelling from Papua New Guinea all the way to Kenya, through Asia and the Middle East - transiting at two different terminals for a couple of hours.

The whole travelling in itself was a great adventure!

After this trip -- definitely all things are possible - and I can go anywhere in the world as long as I put my mind to it!

Oh - one thing - I never got to see the lions, giraffe, hippo -- my kids were abit disappointed - yes we love the Madagscar Movies and Lion King. it was either the trip to the park or I miss my flight back home. But thinking about it - I could've still made it.

 

Oh the best part -well one of the best parts - I got to travel in the matatu! The public bus transport in Kenya - that itself was another adventure. I learnt some other words in Swahili - my favourite - Habari Ya Asubuhi (Good Morning) and Karibu Kenya (Welcome to Kenya)

Oh I got to dance with the Kenyan dancers also, and take photos with the Kenya volleyball team.

I still want to go back - it was very brief and well the conference itself was an 'eye opener' and a great inspiring motivating factor for me to do more for my country in terms of ICT for Development.

I've been back for 2 weeks and already many doors have opened! Oh and I made so many great friends from across Africa and even the Caribbean! Thank goodness for internet and social media- we can all keep in touch and the world is really amazing and getting smaller by the second.

 

Thank you for reading till the end.

Appreciated - Carole

Papua New Guinea

Tags: africa, fin4ag14, kenya, matatu, transit

 

About carolepng


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Papua New Guinea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.