Existing Member?

Eat. Drink. Love. Dream. Discover "For tomorrow may rain so I will follow the sun"

Cusco, Peru- Week 1

PERU | Thursday, 4 September 2014 | Views [440]

After 1 year in New Zealand, 9 months in Australia, and 3 months in Europe, I decided that it was time to finally do something meaningful on this world trip instead of screwing around.  I researched volunteer programs in Peru and came across a program called International Volunteers Headquarters, IVHQ. I chose Peru, specifically Cusco, because Iwanted to visit Macchu Picchu and Cusco is the prime location in order to do so. I booked my flight out of Milan, and 5 connections later ( Milan--Frankfurt--Puerto Rico--Panama--Lima--Cusco) I arrived in Cusco on August 31.  Cusco is located at an elevation of 3300m and I immediately felt the altitude difference when I got off the plane.  because the air is thinner and oxygen levels lower, i felt like i was going to pass out but after 3 days of headaches, i acclimated to the elevation and was alble to walk up stairs without feeling winded.  I am here in cusco for 4 weeks staying with a host family. Its been difficult communicating with them because they only speak Spanish.  I've tried throwing out every french and italian word that I know in hopes it will be similar but I have failed every time. I signed up for spanish classes and with 1 week in, im making progress. The program that I have been assigned to is a girls orphanage. The ages range from 4 to 17. These girls either dont have families or come from families of abuse. The first day we arrived at the orphanage, one of the girls ran over to me and gave me a giant hug. They are so happy to see us and latch on to our sides for the full 3 hours.  One little girl, named Lizeth, has become my favorite. She asked me if I remembered her name and when I said no she responded "well if we are going to be friends you need to rememeber my name". Now I'll never forget it. These girls all come from different backgrounds yet despite their history, they always have a smile on their faces. Their happiness is infectious and I just want to take them home with me, after 1 week I am already attached.  Its going to be tough saying goodbye after 4 weeks. 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.