Existing Member?

Blogging Through My Bucket List Most travel is best of all in the anticipation or the remembering; the reality has more to do with losing your luggage. ~Regina Nadelson

Sunday in San Telmo

ARGENTINA | Monday, 28 February 2011 | Views [1117]

Sundays in Buenos Aires paint a stark contrast of activities, or lack thereof: while stores open late or not at all and unlike the rest of the week, the streets are quiet and empty, the markets of the city are packed to capacity. It's like the entire city agreed there is only a few places people are allowed to congregate Welcome to the San Telmo Market! 

The San Telmo Market is a must-do while in Buenos Aires but it's important to know San Telmo, like many markets, is only open Sunday! Guessing conservatively, the market takes up 6-8 blocks of cobbled streets where on each side, vendors sell everything from jewelry to hand-painted signs to sponge puppets (seen first-hand).

Another bonus is the live and oftentimes unexpected entertainment. A lot of busking occurs and I witnessed a parade of musicians and dancers that took over the street as well as a belly dancing show. Along with the impromptu performances are ones seen weekly including a tango show in La Plaza Dorrega (the video shows what I got to see!)

I did the market properly and spent at least 5 hours exploring the streets. Full disclosure: I did stop when I found a sushi restaurant and at the time rationalized that I had had a tough day (uh, really?) and deserved a break. Thirty minutes and one amazing roll later, my life was complete and I went back to exploring.

Roughly 7 hours after starting, I made it back to my house with a few purchases- a techno tango cd called "Tanghetto"(when in Rome...) a beautiful bracelet and a mate cup (see my first experience tasting this "delicious" beverage here). Dropping about USD$20.00, I was satisfied and thus finished my Buenos Aires "shopping spree"

Tags: buenos aires, san telmo market, shopping

About caitiegoddard

Some of the littlest kids at Raising Up Hope!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.