Existing Member?

Travel tales from A-Z

Becoming a world citizen

SWITZERLAND | Friday, 18 April 2014 | Views [323] | Scholarship Entry

I'll never forget the day I sat my feet on Swiss ground for the very first time. The day would later prove to be a landmark for me, as I'd never really return to my old self again. On this cold and windy day in February 2008 I went from being an insecure high school girl to a girl with restless feet and an immense appetite for life. I was quickly diagnosed with wanderlust!
Switzerland was my first option for a sabbatical year as my boyfriend at that time was studying there, which gave me the chance to go abroad for a couple of months. So I was full of both anxiety and great expectations when I stepped outside of Geneva airport, inhaling the most clean and fresh air I had ever come across.
I was supposed to spend 4-5 months in Montreux, an exotic-looking city on the borders of Lac Leman in the French region of the country. I began to study French and rapidly moved in with a group of young people from all over the world in a spacious student apartment down town. We had fun and I quickly fell in love with Montreux, which in my opinion gathers the best of Switzerland; beautiful views towards the snow-covered mountains, fresh and crisp air, the lake and great restaurants and bars offering Swiss specialities from cheese fondue to meringue and raclette.
During my first 4-5 months it became clear to me that I couldn't give up this intriguing adventure that I had begun just months before, and I repeatedly postponed my return to Denmark, where my family was. I'm sure they understood having experienced the beauty of Switzerland themselves! And so it was that I declared myself a world-citizen taking the liberty to travel around Europe and meeting some wonderful people that I still know today. To make a long story short, I ended up living in the Swiss mountains for more than 3 years and it was some of the best years of my life so far.
Today, I find myself living in Denmark again, however, my heart (and mind) is still on the road searching for new adventures most of the time. I'm saving money to go travel as often as I can, but it's certainly not easy being diagnosed with 'wanderlust'. I'd love to keep on inspiring other people around me with my adventures and lust for life - and not least show other young people that they too can become citizens of the world!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About byrosenvinge27


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.