Existing Member?

Little Notes

Pacu Jawi; cows race from Sumatera

INDONESIA | Saturday, 10 May 2014 | Views [1226] | Scholarship Entry

Under the super bright sunshine on top of my head I waited on my "ready to click" position.
What did I do? I'm taking pictures, i love it.
Pictures of two cows racing with a jockey to get the finish line for sure as fast as they can.

How can a jockey handle two cows in a race? That what makes this race very interesting for me.
They are not only racing to beat the time, but also to direct this two cows running as straigt as they can.
The cows only tied by 1 to 2 meter small rope on their nose to keep them running together in the same direction.
Sounds impossible, but thats what they really do.
Can happen that the cows running into other directions, even to other rice fields.
I have to be extremely careful because can happen that they will running to my directions or to the audiences.
My heart beat up fast as they start to race their cows, i really want to get nice picutres but i realise myself it was very dangerous.

People gathers from the villages around to watch, some of their familie member even also take parts.
Some come with whole family to have full captivating entertainment.
Yes it is, for them it is really a fascinating things, as i felt the same way.
I talk to an Opa who sits in a shadow under the tree. His wrinkled left hand is holding a cup of coffee while the other pointing one of the jockey.
With a big smile of proud he said to me:
"that is my grandchild". He is not doing this jockey things anymore, too hard for him and he notice he also too old for such things.
"Now i'm just sitting and watch. I Never get bored to watch this races".
At least thats a short conversation that i can really remember with him.

Pacu literally means to race, and Jawi is the cow itself.
This traditions held yearly during around 1 month in 4 villages in Sumatera Barat, Indonesia.
Usually after the harvesting seasons of the rice plants.
They make muddy field from the rice plants into a race track, very interesting i have to sa
Not only making a really interesting races, they actually also plowing their field for the next planting season.
As a matter of fact, not a bad idea to work and have some fun in a same time.

The sun is sliding, why time is always running so fast?
Its almost 4 in the afternoon, too bad i couldn't stay longer.
Need to catch up my plane back home, tomorrow is "back to work" day. Noooo...
Sounds so familiar, is that a new chocolate brand name?

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About brownsugar


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.