Existing Member?

Brian and Davina's journeys

Mumbai,Kerala,Goa

INDIA | Thursday, 24 December 2009 | Views [1388] | Comments [2]

Finally reached Mumbai and our wonderful Gordon House Hotel. Dinner at our favourite restaurant Indigo (sensational food) and plenty of wine and good cheer.

Bought Slum Dog millionaire and looking forward to some relaxation time.

Down to Kerala- heat and palm trees. Visited Synagogue in Jew town- floor of Delf tiles-built in 15th century.

Finally now 2 days of total relaxation on a boat on Kerala backwaters. Bought lobster and it is being cooked for us. We have our private boat and 3 members of staff to look after us- unashamed luxury. We departed in an armada of houseboats, but now on our own. Vast expanse of waterways Great sunsets, wonderful bird life and now relaxing with Vanilla flavoured vodka- another triumph from Davina- does not need to be cold to enjoy. Kemble bear allowed to steer the boat, but then got overheated and had to take all his clothes off! Cormorants on poles with wings outstretched to dry looking like ranks of Batmen .Second parcel now despatched to UK- with latest Indian fashion garments. Kemble bear took over steering the boat for a while.

Competition for best photo has now been resolved….we will take joint credit and waste no more energy-but we all know, don’t we! Signing off to the sound of birds, and wilting in humidity. Watching out for impending mosquito assaults. Smell of garlic wafts across the backwaters as we wait for our lobster---yum!

PS anyone booking internal flights in India use yatra.com- we got some flights for 1 rupee + tax!!

Now in Goa- Home as good as ever. Italian restaurant great and my white trousers tell the story of our many delicious meals here!! Off to see outdoor movie, but am in wifi free Nepalese restaurant

Sadly our favorite place at Agonda beach-Turtle lounge- in a bit of chaos. Staff have cheated him and set up a rival establishment which is a total copy. They even stole his door knobs to copy! A local government minister owns the copy....the unsalubrious underworld of India!

Weather  is great-sunny but not too hot or humid. Davina getting chill time and loving it-in her mother's words- "like a livingstone daisy to the sun..." (albeit wearing a hat.) Kemble bear bears all and relaxes in a hammock- but sadly no Miss Bears lurking- just the odd pig, 1 monkey and too big a humped back cow to consider.

The life of sand encrusted bedroom floors, cold showers and mosquito coils far outweighed by the dead of night star and moonlit skies with the occasional burst of extraordinary fireworks. With your toes in the sand  it is still a magical place that acts as a free magnet to bliss ( Davina). and at £20 a night I am really enjoying it- cheap date or what?!!

Many days doing nothing and now batteries are totally recharged ready for next stage. 2 more days only of the beach but temples beckon. Onwards...

New Year's Eve on the beach- fantastic fireworks and partial lunar eclipse PLUS a blue moon- see the photos!!

Now in Mumbai and have to get up at 2.00am for flight to bangkok

 

Comments

1

How glorious!
I wish you all 3 of you a very happy New Year - sounds like you are having a fantastic end to 2009 and are starting the New Year as you mean to carry on - in a state of great happiness and relaxation.
Much Love N

  Nicol Dec 30, 2009 9:09 PM

2

PC arrived safely and now in transit!

  Nicol Jan 5, 2010 1:53 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.