Existing Member?

World Trip 2011

Bundoran, Ireland

IRELAND | Saturday, 8 October 2011 | Views [614]

We were lucky enough to get the new Airbus A380 for our flight out of Miami which was nice. Touch screens with movies and games etc. It even has a feature where you can watch the plane take off and land through 3 different camera positions on board. The flight was pleasant enough and 8 hours later we landed in Frankfurt, Germany then boarded our connector to Dublin. Needless to say we were extremely tired when we boarded our bus in Dublin, bound for Bundoran. After getting off the bus in Bundoran, I asked a local woman where our hostel might be. Instead of giving us directions, she just told us to jump in her car and she would take us! Irish hospitality. The country folk are so friendly.  

We settled in to our hostel which had a ‘rock n roll’ theme, with every room decorated with different styles of music. We got the heavy rock room. The weather was pretty ordinary at the beginning of our stay, cold, wet and windy. We met a bloke from Northern Ireland called Conner, also staying at the hostel and he had a car so the 3 of us cruised up and down the coast together looking for surf and we eventually surfed a wave called Easkey. We checked out many of the other beaches in the area and enjoyed the scenery.

The next day we were fortunate enough to catch the final of the Gaelic Football at one of the local pubs. It’s a mix between soccer and AFL. It was a good Irish pub scene and we enjoyed it, but Conner had to explain the rules along the way. It was an exciting game and for the record, Dublin (the underdogs) beat Kerry in the final minute of the match. We enjoyed a few more surfs around the Bundoran area over the next few days as the swell got bigger at Black spot, the Peak and at the boat ramp with the Peak being my favourite. It’s a great wave but it’s always so windy in Ireland and that can ruin it.

 Later that week the teams started to arrive for the European National Surfing Championships that were being held in Bundoran this year. This was both good and bad. Bad because now all the waves in the area were crowded with the best surfers in Europe, but good because the town came alive and there was a lot more going on. We went and saw a traditional Irish folk band called Kila in a local small pub with Erin, Pia, Kate and Diarmid from the hostel, which we really enjoyed. The next night we saw a blues band at a different pub. We had a good 10 days in Bundoran with a mix of stormy weather to sunshine, and some small waves to big. We made many friends and thoroughly enjoyed the craic!

About brettcooke

profile

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.