Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

City of Canals, Chocolate, Lace and Sculpture

BELGIUM | Wednesday, 9 November 2011 | Views [618]

We were woken early by the cold today – it’s been a while since we slept in the tent! A quick brekkie consumed before catching the bus into Brugge itself.

The campsite had given up a map of town and we had a couple of sights we wanted to see. Started out hopping off the bus next to Saint Salvatorskathedral where we did a full circuit of the outside and inside. Wandering left down the road to the t’Zand we had a closer look at the sculpture/fountain there and the concert hall before following the river around a tree lined path toward Lover’s Lake. Passing King Albert on his horse (statue) we stumbled upon a cool gated research centre with great gates before carrying on our way across another stream to the ‘ísland’ that is the Ten Wijngaerde Beguinage where we learnt history, visited their chapel and appreciated the serenity.

Bray shared a hongi with the stinky horse head fountain next to all the horse & carriage operators then we wandered further into the old town where doily, lace, chocolate and tapestry stores abounded. The chocolateries were in fierce competition to make the most elaborate/obscure object from chocolate. Entire winter scenes including extra large penguins on skis, chocolate CDs, mountains, trees, bottoms, and a swan taller than Roni!

After grabbing a takeaway coffee to warm us up we continued our exploring. Passing the Diamond Museum and Hospitaalmuseum we carried on to the Bruggemuseum which takes up entire blocks with fantastic old buildings, sculptures and decorative touches including a king’s throne Bray tried on for size. Past the Gruuthusemuseum and the beer wall (containing 1130 Belgian beers!) it was time to sample some Belgian chocolate – it was tasty but not life altering!

On we wandered to the Burg square which was overrun with debri and large vehicles from the morning market.  So exploring the courthouse area, belfry, and Our Lady’s Church passed time until we retired to the warmth of a Turkish cafe for lunch then returned to the now empty and tidy Burg square. Here we took photos of the impressive decorated buildings before beginning our long walk home. We passed through one of the old town gates just in time to witness the bridges opening for boats to pass through – once the excitement and bridges had lowered we carried on.

En route we purchased cooking gas and some kai for dinner then discovered an awesome confidence course/high ropes thing by the pool. Home for hot pumpkin soup (yay for cooking gas again!) and a few jobs before settling into our sleeping bags to keep warm with a movie before sleep.

 

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Belgium

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.