Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

;-)

FRANCE | Monday, 19 September 2011 | Views [913]

We packed out in the early morning hoping to hit the road and get moving. Had a coffee at our campsite while we awaited the office staff in order to settle up and set out. Headed to the beach at Sestri Levante to get some sun and coastline with our bakery breakfast.

At the beach we FINALLY saw a deer – there have been signs warning us of their existence (like the yellow signs with cow silhouettes in NZ, only with deer) everywhere through Spain, France and Italy but nothing! Roni was getting angry at each sign by now – false advertising! Unfortunately this deer was a sculpture...

Then driving, driving, driving...bathroom stops for Brayden with regularity, occasional kai and stretch stops until we found our way to the Fort of the Exiles in the French Alps. SOOOO cool!! Had a few difficulties finding the parking area but made our way there eventually. It was closed but we were still allowed to explore all around it – and take numerous photos of course!

On the road again after we tore ourselves away from the fort. Up, up and up we went!! It was getting dark by this stage and the temperature plummeted...all the way down to 2 degrees Celsius. By this stage we were well over 2000m above sea level and surrounded by glaciers and avalanche fields – quite exciting.

Not as exciting as what happened next though...we had pulled over to get a quality pic or two (instead of the photos from a moving vehicle that Bray has become professional at). Bray got out to take some pics and Roni did too – she saw some alpine daisies and wanted to try for a pic. We were FREEZING (still kinda dressed for Italian temps).

Next thing Bray is on one knee and asking Roni to spend the rest of life together.  SURPRISE!!!!  She hadn’t a clue that was coming at all.  After getting a bit weepy on it (Roni) and using some more words (Bray) the “yes” was said with accompanying hugs etc.

We took a quick pic to immortalise the location then jumped back in the car to crank up the heat. The car’s computer was warning of black ice and sleet was falling while we navigated our way down towards some civilisation.

Tried one campsite but it was closed (though we saw a cat) so carried on until we found another.

 Ferme Noemi was our home for the night – quickly made some dinner and had a hot shower before getting into thermals and sleeping bags to keep warm. A celebratory three course dinner was had – salami, cheese & gherkin sandwich, pan au chocolate (bulk buy) and apples. Yum!

Happy and good night’s sleep had by all on soft, grassy ground for a change. Bliss.

 

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.