Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

Just like the Shotover...

LAOS | Friday, 15 July 2011 | Views [975]

...except the boat is made of wood, we don't wear lifejackets and the ride lasts 6.5 hours!!

We are safe in Luang Prabang (L.P) now - LAOS! Yay for a new country!

Got up early, had breaki then into the cars to be dropped at one place for boat tickets, then to Thai side of immigration, ferry across the river, Laos side of immigration. Waiting for a while as the rest of the 'green sticker' boat group showed up then Kit our guide walked us to his office. We were the only two of our group of 14 or so who actually wanted the speed boat version to L.P.

So we got a special warning lecture (floating logs, rain, accidents...) then time to discuss our options. Decided to stick with it, even though Kit told us it couldn't happen unless he found more people for the speedy option - wouldn't tell us the 'what if' in case that didn't happen!

Eventually he sourced a few more so we leapt in a giant pink bus-tuktuk and he drove us to the boat - the most 'exciting' driving we have experienced so far :-P

We met our fellow speeders - a Frenchman and his Malaysian daughter + two German girls - then slid down a muddy bank and across a plank to the boat. Bray was very chivalrous and helped everyone manage without falling in.

Our boat was little, really little :-) we squeezed in (still showing squeeze marks)then we were off...until our driver stopped to tinker for 5 min or so, involved blowing through tubing, burping and tightening things....We started again though :-) A few extra stops where he ran off up the bank for 10min or so and a couple to refuel before lunch on a floating raft. We had sticky rice and noodle soup while chatting to a Laotian guy who is studying medicine in Dien Bien (Vietnam).

We changed boats at lunchtime - after much speaking Laos language and a bit of guesswork on our part! The student we chatted with and two buddies squeezed into the seat behind us and their luggage was added to the pile up front.

From here our new driver floored it (Toyota 16 valve petrol engine now!) through heavy rain, much wind and some FUN rapids! The views along the Mekong were amazing - cliff faces, massive trees, little villages on stilts, people fishing, water buffalo grazing, goat herds and all sorts.

Disembarked across another plank and scrambled up some steep stairs (how we love our MASSIVE packs :-P ) to catch a tuktuk to town. Then spent some time wandering near where our driver assured us the guesthouse we asked for was...it wasn't!

No matter - we found a COOL wee alternative in Pakam Guest House. Quiet, not on the main guest house 'strip' with a cute lamp, desk and PINK toilet paper!!

Just went for a wander through the night market to grab a bite and now relaxing on the deck. Lovely...

p.s. Only real downer today was arriving here tonight and Bray realising we didn't have his phone with us :-( It may be still at Boom GH in Chiang Khong... :-(

 

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.