Existing Member?

Grove on tour- last man standing

Chapter 4: Byronian update

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 25 March 2007 | Views [716] | Comments [2]

work eat surf sleep surf work eat surf sleep surf work eat sleep sleep surf eat…

You get the idea!

Clearly the work of fiction that I call my ‘CV’ (and a distinctly pornographic moustache) convinced people that I would be a sound employment decision. My current boss is THE Paul Hogan, aka owner of the Beach Hotel, Byron Bay. During my trial shift I was left in charge of the kitchen (at which point I felt I may have overdone the ‘CV’ a little) but it went surprisingly well and I was offered a job. Sweet times!!!

Byron is a really successful small town melting pot of young backpackers, wealthy Australian tourists and old school hippies. The number of restaurants here is rivalled only by the number of alternative therapy practices (what the hell is pranayama and dynamic soul retrieval???) and if your body and soul are in need of genesis then this is without doubt the place for you.

I just like the surf and the women.

The weather is my idea of perfect (sunny and around 28oC, with cooler evenings) though, weirdly, the shops have started selling hats, scarves and fleeces!!!

Byron is also, it seems, a cross roads of sorts where everyone travelling this part of the world seems to turn up. Have so far met Tor Giddings (Charlottes sister), Ian, and Mo (my housemate from Acacia). Embarrassingly I must say thanks to Mum for acting as my social secretary and letting me know that Mo and Tor where coming up here, ta Ma!

Ian and the guys he’s roadtripping with, after whipping up a breakdancing storm of the like this small hippy town will never witness again, have just left for warmer northern climes. Mo, too, has headed north to work in Surfers Paradise so I’m left to settle into the simple life I described above.

I’m still living with Tamsin and Emma and have definitely become the houseguest who never leaves! I’ve even started pretending to peruse the classified adds for flat shares but the truth is, they’re ace girls who’re fun to live with, its 3 minutes to the beach and I’m in a comfort zone!

Other than that, I’m surfing everyday (on a board technically owned by my financial backer, Mr Ian Powis) and although very definitely a total surf chump I’m, like tooootally loving it maaan.

Enough from me, I hope all back home (and elsewhere) are well and happy. News and gossip is always appreciated so get/ stay in touch.

Love and moustaches,

Starsky.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tags: Work

Comments

1

Living the dream!! Very jealous!
I am currently sitting in the office at a large hospital just contemplating going back to hot, stinking wards and annoying patients. Thinking of you, you lucky bastard!!
Must say mate you're quite the talented writer, if you feel like a career change then maybe you should take up travel writing or maybe it reads good because i'm just day-dreaming about being there myself!
Hows the work going, getting any skills in australian cuisine?
For my news, other than working and paying back debt (boring but some what essential) life is good, Sals sister in law has just had a baby girl and i must admit to getting a bit broody - who would have guessed!
Would absolutely love to come and visit but think flights are a little bit of a stretch just now! Any longer plans than just the next day?
Seeing a bit more of the grovers now which is cool and looking forward to the bigger version of you spending some more time in Notts.
Any way got to get back to work, will also copy this to the e-mail stuff, which one is the best to keep in touch?
All the best, Ewan

  Ewan Apr 2, 2007 11:30 PM

2

Alright mate,

Sounds like you're using your mastered arts of winging it very well. Apologies for not keeping in touch to much but not alot to tell. Besides helping Louise move house and having my head stuck in the books I've not beeen up to anything that comes near to exciting. Apart from last night of course...

Dragged Lou along to see Lionel Richie at the Arena. Mate it was fantastic, think Lou's now a bit scared that I knew all the words and wasn't afraid to sing them.

Second Face's comments on wanting to be out there, but cheapest flights I've found so far are £650, and think that's pushing it considering I haven't got a great deal of holiday left after I take he time off for this exam into account.

Surely you should have picked up Trevor before you set off as last Grover standing. John's locked him in a cupboard so I'm sure he'd be having more fun.

Much love,

Mark/Rindo/Morris/Meat Feast

  Mark Rinaldi Apr 5, 2007 6:53 PM

About bjw_uk


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.