Existing Member?

Vegemite, Australian salty food

Vegemite, Australian salty food

INDONESIA | Saturday, 10 May 2014 | Views [275] | Scholarship Entry

Having holiday in Sentul city is the most adventure and challenging because I was going to be there by myself and this is the first time I went to Sentul City, Bogor. I had alot of experiences when I met my friend and stayed in his apartment. His name is Gary maxwell Baker. He was from Australia. He shared and taught me alot of things about Australians stories like about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, he also gave me Boomerang which is having great artistic painting in it and even he asked me to taste his traditional food in Australia, Thats is called Vegemite.
Vegemite was made from several yeast extract and It looks so dark when I see in the bottle but when I take it out and start to spread it in to cracker biscuit or toaster bread. The texture is so smooth like oil as my friend said, because of the dark. And it’s true almost black in color. My friend take the knife out and start to spread vegemite on the cracker which is so salty too. He did not let me to spread it cause I am his guest. He wanna serve me with his own traditional food from Australia. He also tried to spread in another cracker which is much sweet than the other crackers. When we have already spread the vegemite in to cracker biscuit and time to taste it. But careful you have to make sure that when you spread in to the bread or cracker biscuit just little bit. Don’t spread it too much on your cracker cause you will know what it taste. Like what I did. It’s tasty and Wow it is slightly bitter and salty at that time and need some water to vanish that taste. The other crackers are much sweeter having different taste. My friend said that it is richest sources known of Vitamin B. Even though it is very salty. But then after we tried some, we want more. It is like addictted. This is the most salty food that I ever tried in my life. It is like more salty than from salty itself.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About benjoprasetyo


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.