Existing Member?

Bec & Simon

Nevada to Missouri

USA | Wednesday, 17 June 2009 | Views [575]

Sandy in Monument Valley

Sandy in Monument Valley

Leaving Las Vegas wasn't easy. Mostly because of the lack of sleep we got there but also because we had so much fun but we managed to get back into the car and begin our long haul towards the Atlantic. 

Crossed over the Hoover dam after not too long. Not very exciting at all. Maybe we were just tired but I can't see why people pay to visit that. Only a few hours more we made it to the Grand Canyon, now that was worth seeing. Far bigger than we ever expected. Bec was speechless, which is almost unbelieveable. The only problem was that the rangers were burning off in the park and the smoke made it hard to see across the canyon. Still, it didn't take away much.

We drove on towards Utah with plans of stopping in a town called Kayenta at the border of Nevada and Utah but we couldn't find a room for less than $150 a night so we continued on through Monument Valley that evening. Turned out to be a good decision because we drove through the monuments right on sunset. Got some pretty amazing scenery. Bec was particularly impressed with her sunset photos.

The next day we got up at the ungodly hour of 5am to take on the Colorado Rockies and head into the great plains. Sandy (the car) proved herself yet again over the mountains (third time, and thankfully the last time) although I don't think we passed 35mph at any stage but we got there. Then started the most boring part of the drive, hour upon hour of nothingness that is Kansas. We drove on for about 700km's along a road with about as much scenery change as the Nullaboor until we pulled in to Dodge City (yes the Wyatt Earp place) for the night. Had some real excitment there that night when we got a tornado warning for our area. A twister touched down about 40 miles away and was heading towards Dodge but lifted before it reached us. Got a serious sound and light show with some really heavy rain too. 

Next day we drove to Kansas City, which for some strange reason is actually not in Kansas but just across the border in Missouri. This is mostly a rest stop due to us doing nearly 3,000km in 3 days previous. We stayed 3 nights but in hindsight it would have been nice to find a city that actually had someting to do. We went into the CBD and couldn't find a shop, not a single one, it was just office buildings and food stalls. We did go to the baseball. Saw Kansas City take on Arizona, the game wasn't anything special but the atmostsphere was pretty cool. Sort of like a cricket game but we got free t-shirts which will come in very handy.

About to start our last 2,000kms the the east coast. Not exactly sure of the route we're taking but looking forward to it a lot. 

 

About bec-simon

Enjoying a little bit of sun in winter

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.