Existing Member?

Coastline - Big seven

in the coastline and the big seven.

SOUTH AFRICA | Tuesday, 22 April 2014 | Views [130] | Scholarship Entry

I travelled around this region of eastern cape as a normal adventure and for holiday and I did discover wonderful things to tell:

With 800 kilometres of pristine coastline to explore, the effortlessly transitions from land to sea opening up a world of exploration and adventure opportunities. A true feature of the province, along with the abundance of activities, the region is also known as the water sport capital of South Africa boasting a host of international and local water sport events.

Enjoy the breath-taking scenery and immerse yourself in one of the many experiences in and around the Eastern Cape’s magnificent coastline.

Spanning a unique blend of coastal forest, winding rivers, open grassland and a diverse coastline, Dwesa Nature Reserve offers a range of trails through lush forests and magnificent ocean views in that reserve.

Situated in the central Wild Coast, Dwesa Nature Reserve is separated by the Mbashe River and bordered by the Indian Ocean on one side, and rugged grasslands of the former Transkei on the other. This is a paradise for avid bird-watchers with 290 species recorded, including the Narina Togon and Mangrove Kingfisher. The primary purpose of the Dwesa Nature Reserve is to conserve the unique biodiversity of the coastal forests, the southern sourveld grassland type and the Marine Protected Area. It also provides a critical habitat to the survival of a number of collapsed fish stocks.

Combining lush indigenous forests, a beautiful rocky coastline, unspoilt beaches and rolling grasslands, the Hluleka Nature Reserve lies along the ancient Wild Coast within the district of Ngqeleni.

Comprising magnificent coastal forest reserves – Congwane Mtombo and Ndabeni Hluleka – as well as the old Strachan Grant Farm, Hluleka Nature Reserve covers an area of 772ha and includes the coastal area.

A trip to the Eastern Cape is not complete without catching a glimpse of these animals in their indigenous environment. The character of the region is embodied in these majestic creatures, taking you back to untamed Africa in its purest form. Spanning both land and ocean, the Big Seven is an African marvel that continues to inspire and intrigue.

Few experiences are quite as absorbing as seeing Africa’s great beasts up close. The Eastern Cape is home to the Big Seven; buffalo, elephant, leopard, lion, rhino, great white shark and southern right whale.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About baviaanskloof


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.