Existing Member?

avant-garde_chauvintist wandering through the garden of ideals

Yarn and needles

CHINA | Friday, 11 January 2008 | Views [673]

Yet another Christmas passed with all my gifts being scarves that I crocheted myself. I decided to make four scarves for four special friends. The scarves are all identical (same stitch, same length, same fringe) except for the colors. With the left overs from each of the four colors, I made myself a scarve. Kind of symbol of what I've taken from each of the four important people I've met in China.

Anyway, I figured out I wanted to do this just before Christmas. So I had to made five scarves in a mad rush. And all that practice left me pretty good at the one stitch.

While Lauren and Mom were here, I came across a hat that I just had to have. But the poor little lady selling it was asking Y260 for it. Which is slightly ridiculous. I wouldn't even pay that much for a hat Stateside. While this is happening, Mom says, "Lea, just make one."

It was marvelous, miraculous and 'mazing! ...uh. Anyway, I realized I could do it!

So I found a pattern online and quickly (I mean like within an hour) figured out how to minipulate the pattern into something that I could crochet and that looked like a hat! I was so excited.

I decided that all of my clothes from now on should be crocheted! I found more patterns that would look great.

I went today to buy some yarn to start my first sweater.

Here is where I realized that it might not be cheaper to make your own clothes. The yarn was going to cost like Y160. So I decided to just buy a little and see how far I can get on the sweater. I've started an arm.

I guess it won't be cheaper, but it will certainly be more fulfilling. And it will fit :)

Tags: Shopping

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.