Existing Member?

Indonesian Explorer A friend told me when I did traveling with him and challenging to jump over the huge rock to the river, "Hey Arum, you never know you'll come to here again or not. So, NOW or NEVER?" Then this is the best I remember when I want to do new things.

Central Java: Funny Moments around Borobudur

INDONESIA | Friday, 16 May 2014 | Views [1529] | Comments [2]

with local guide

We got a good guidance from a local guide. We asked her to accompany during a trip around Borobudur. Lots of history about Borobudur explained. We were asked to wear Batik scarf to cover the bottom of body. Borobudur parties would lended and after the visitors finished, scarf must be returned. The new rule was applied to the tourists who visit Borobudur Temple, both domestic and foreign. Starting February 1, 2010, tourists visiting Borobudur temple, must dress politely. Travelers are prohibited to wear shorts or mini skirts.

Discussing about the artifacts

We also did not forget to take a lot of moments around Borobudur . There were funny stories that (may) often occurred by some foreigners in Indonesia. There would be a lot of Indonesian people who asked for photos with foreigner. So, get ready to be a celebrity on the crowded places in Indonesia, guys! They did not hesitate to ask, "Can I take a picture with you?" And they were often discussing in Indonesian language with their friends how to pronounce it in English. It could be so annoying when you found groups and they wanted to take photos with you. Funny indeed. Why? Probably because you are a foreigner and different. That was all. We could also hiding somewhere nearby Borobudur and we did it to discuss about the details.

Arrested by security?

One of my friends was arrested for taking too many photos around Borobudur. Other reason were because he suddenly became a celebrity and disturbing the other. Many people were asking for photos and rowdy atmospher . But wait!!! It was just a joke during the trip at Borobudur. Stayed to ask the security to do so and they would helped to get a funny moment around Borobudur.

Me with the temple

Tip : It is recommended to use a sun block, a hat or sunglasses to avoid direct sunlight. Most people are unfamiliar with excessive light or have sensitive skin, and therefore needed some supplies, especially during a visit in the afternoon. I am familiar with forced hot but still had to wear a hat and sunglasses as it is very hot.

Tags: borobudur, indonesia, yogyakarta

Comments

1

lol..

the moment of some group of people asking for picture with foreigner is absolutely true. even, I had this experience when I was student in junior and senior high school.

I think this is because our Indonesian students are mostly not confident enough to speak English. So they are asked by their teacher to keep practicing to speak English with foreign tourist, for example in Borobudur. That thing is look ridiculous for you, maybe, but it is not for us (student) to get practice speaking in English. As for most student around here, English is difficult to learn. That's why they do such thing.

I hope you understand the reason to that.

  masrosid Jun 1, 2014 5:56 AM

2

I did understand why Indonesian students asked to take pictures with foreigners. Here I was sharing the situation, most foreigners are really welcoming to take pictures with them, but probably Indonesian should know if foreigners came to Indonesia to enjoy their vacation. So hopefully, keep asking to take pictures politely so it can make foreigners as our guests keep enjoying their vacations.

Cheers.

  arumtri Jun 1, 2014 1:38 PM

About arumtri


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.