Existing Member?

Anna in Italy "You may have the universe if I may have Italy." Giuseppe Verdi

Drama in Sardinia

ITALY | Saturday, 16 November 2013 | Views [843] | Comments [8]

Last Thursday I set off once again for a few days of rest and relaxation in Sardinia. Little did I know that one of the most embarrassing experiences of my LIFE was shortly to take place in this haven of sunshine, peace and tranquillity.

It all started off as usual. I stepped off the aeroplane into a balmy 25 degrees, and met up with the best friends in the world after a brief train ride. Although I was extremely sleep-deprived from having spent Thursday night (awake) at the airport, I spent a perfect Friday afternoon and Saturday just chilling out in the nice weather and babysitting an adorable little girl called Martina, who hated me at first sight but loved me by the time she had to leave.

Sardinia1

Saturday night was when The Event took place. Someone, I’m not sure who, came up with the idea that we should go ten pin bowling. Now I have gone bowling plenty of times in Australia before, and things have always gone just fine, so I don’t know whether it was the fact that I was in Italy or the fact that I hadn’t had enough sleep that was to blame for what happened.

Bowling

Me, obviously before tragedy struck, since I am smiling

Anna

Mattia, Gabriele and Joni

Mattia, Gabri e Joni

Sala and Ingar

Sala and Ingar

Now everything was going swimmingly until the very last round of bowling. I was the last person in my group to go, so I mean it was the very end. I looked up at the screen and saw that it was my turn to go so I went to choose my bowling bowl (I always go size 10). I picked it up, glanced at the alley, saw that all was clear and did my little run-up to release the ball.

Only as the ball was leaving my hand did I see that—horror upon horrors—the metallic bowling-pin gate was coming down!!! I have no idea of how or why, because I had been sure that it was clear before, but it was most certainly coming down now. Basically I immediately went into hysterics!! I ran back to the bench, buried my head in Ann Yvonne’s shoulder and cried “HELP!!!” Everyone’s eyes were transfixed on the lane, waiting to see if by any miraculous fluke the gate would go up again before my ball reached it. It was not to be. With a thundering CRASH that shook the whole building the ball impacted with the gate which instantly stopped moving! I had entertained a faint hope that possibly nothing would happen when a heavy bowling bowl travelling at high speed collided with the delicate machinery that comprised the pin gate, but this proved to be a vain one.

Seriously guys, can you even begin to imagine how I felt?? I was just thinking, WAAAAHHHH WHY ME????!!!!! I’m about to get shot by the owners of the centre, and I can’t even speak proper Italian to defend myself (the little I have managed to grasp thus far always seems to vanish completely in moments of stress). So everyone is gaping with open mouths at the scene of the crime, when one of the managers comes over. Since all I was able to stutter was “Mi dispiace” (I’m sorry) about 50 times, which obviously didn’t really serve to enlighten him as to what had actually occurred, Ann Yvonne took on the task of explaining. In the end he was very nice about it; contrary to my gravest fears, I hadn’t actually broken anything, so I was allowed to finish the game, still in a state bordering on complete shock.

After this traumatic experience, I must say the rest of the weekend passed in a relatively quiet and peaceful way. I, however, am scarred for life, and don’t see myself going bowling again in the near future.

Sardinia

Stian practicing a backflip, which I am going to film next time I come and post here

Mino and Stian

My darling Marco giving me the biggest bear hug ever!

Anna and Marco

But I have to conclude by thanking the guys down there for yet another enchanting weekend, truly I had a wonderful time!! It breaks my heart to leave, but I'll see you all again in 14 days!!!

Sardinia from the aeroplane

Comments

1

Bellissimo weekend anke per noi Anna:) sei bravissima a raccontare;) non vedo l ora per il prossimo weekend:)un abbraccio<3

  Salomè Nov 16, 2013 9:02 PM

2

Bowling Anna style. You described the incident really colorfully! Keep on smiling!

  Fiona Naccari Nov 17, 2013 10:09 AM

3

Hi Anna,Pretty dramatic story, may I suggest that you get some sleep before you travel,or otherwise upon arrival, This time no one was injured...........................
And Hi from here, it seems such a long time since you were in Australia, itsn't it about time you came back? I will be visiting Mb again next week, and will miss you there!All the best Anna!,Johanna

  Johanna Nov 18, 2013 5:59 PM

4

@Sala: Grazie per il commento amica mia, sei la migliore!! <3 Anch'io non vedo l'ora, restano solo 11 giorni :):) Alla prossima!! xx

@Fiona: Hey come on this has never happened before! Anyone would think it was a weekly occurrence :) Have a lovely day! :-)

@Johanna: Haha I can't get more sleep, it's the same every time, I stay at the airport in Rome overnight to catch my flight early the next morning... :( I just have to resign myself to the fact that I will do stupid things when I am down there :) But as you said, no one was hurt, so I can count my blessings... ;o) Going down to Melbs again? Ahhh don't make me homesick... I'll be back before you know it! Hug from me

  Anna Nov 18, 2013 11:28 PM

5

Haha Anna! Maybe not as embarrassing as the AC trip here. The Ateam girls took the youngest girls bowling and the staff said "Just make sure they don't use the wrong lane as there's a competition going on." What do you think happens - a certain girl (won't mention names here) sends the ball flying down the wrong lane where a professional competition is taking place. Luckily the ball went into the side so missed everything... A little embarrassing for the leader though :)

  Liz Risnes Nov 23, 2013 2:37 PM

6

Oh Anna, yes embarrassing but at least it created some material for yet another entertaining blog. I received my prize (actually a little while ago already) Thank you very much. The magnet is hanging on my fridge to remind of you :) Liz your comment really made me laugh...that really IS embarrassing!!

  Anna Nooit Nov 24, 2013 8:43 PM

7

I wasn't there Anna N - just heard about it after :)

  Liz R Nov 25, 2013 12:37 PM

8

@Liz: What an absolutely disastrous occurrence, my story pales into insignificance beside it! Lucky you weren't the responsible one, though I bet you wish you were there. Murphy's law hey? The one time you WOULD send the ball down the wrong lane would HAVE to be when there's a competition going on :):):)

@AnnaN: I'm glad the prize arrived ok. "Now did you eat all the Italian lollies by yourself or did you share?" (lol)

  Anna Nov 27, 2013 3:22 AM

About annarisa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.