Existing Member?

Anna in Italy "You may have the universe if I may have Italy." Giuseppe Verdi

Week 5

ITALY | Thursday, 10 October 2013 | Views [683] | Comments [9]

Well it’s been about a week since my last update, but I can’t say I’ve really had any life changing experiences in the last seven days (such as avoiding more traumatic deaths by Italian dogs) so if you’re looking for stories of adventure and inspiration, I advise you to skip this post. It’s just a bit of an update for the faithful few readers out there.

The first momentous news item would have to be the historic change in weather. If anyone knows what Melbourne weather is like, imagine the complete opposite. Rather than changeable, never-know-what’s-coming-next weather, it is extremely constant and predicable. For my first month here, the weather was as perfect as my heart could have desired, with warm sunshine and blue skies all day every day. Less than a week ago, it turned and I am now living in the bleak midwinter (for evidence: check out the photos). Fortunately I brought enough winter clothes with me to survive, and even more fortunately I’m about to leave for Sardinia for the weekend, where the weather forecast is for beautiful sunshine, so I’m really looking forward to that!!!

Winter4

Winter 2

Winter 3

This week I discovered the library in the department of law. You know how libraries are supposed to be quiet places? Well in Italy, they are not quiet, they are dead silent. If you whisper, you cop angry looks, everyone just has their head down and there is zero communication. I took one photo of the library, and I kid you not, the click of the shutter sounded like a gunshot! Every head within 50 metres snapped up to stare at me; it would have been funny if it weren’t so embarrassing!! So considering what the photo cost me, I thought I’d better post it here, even though it’s not that amazing from an artistic point of view.

Library

One little story before I go, that illustrates the cultural divide between Italy and Australia. And this can serve as a warning to any Australians wishing to study in Italy: don’t do what I did! This morning I’d decided to go and see my lecturer for International Law, Paolo Palchetti, during his office hours, to ask him a number of questions on some of the subject matter. I walked into the building where his office was and approached the receptionist (a man maybe in his 50’s).

“Excuse me,” I said politely (in Italian). “I’m looking for Paolo.” If looks could kill, I would have been dead on the floor with a dagger through my heart.

“Do you mean Professor Palchetti???!!!!” he asked in an outraged tone of voice (there is no other word for it).

“Ummm, yes?” I squeaked in utter terror, looking around for an exit in case I should need to make a quick escape.

He’s upstairs!” the receptionist informed me, and his tone of voice wasn’t getting any friendlier. I stammered a thank you and bolted.

The interesting thing is that when I told this to the other Italian students (I could see the funny side a couple of hours later) they didn’t think it was that strange at all. Apparently I had been totally rude to ask after a lecturer by his first name, this is just not done in Italy. Ah well, at least I know now, you live and learn! :)

International Law

Comments

1

Hi Anna,These photo's surely give a totally different picture of the sunny Italy you have been telling about. But it looks homely!- so sit inside with a hot Milo! I was glad to read that you survived the dogs and am not tempted to come and visit you and then go for a walk.The visit will have to be in a dogless Melbourne street.
Today we are having summer with 39 degr in Sydney- not bad for those who like it( and it reminds me of January when you were here). I spent a week in Camilla's new palace, and they moved in just in time for being able to use the swimming pool. Now we are waiting for little junior,who could arrive anytime, because his/her Dad is back from Israel. I say Bye for now,going to Maria's Bday party! Nice to hear from you, love,Johanna

  Johanna Oct 10, 2013 3:44 PM

2

Hi Anna. Always lookoung forward to your blog. Enjoy Sardinia. Id love to join you! Have a great time. Sending a hug!

  Fiona Oct 10, 2013 11:40 PM

3

Hi Anna,
Yes, enjoy Saradinia! Are you going there to watch the Brunstad Feast? All our youth are safely home from their trip - exhausted but happy..
Thinking of you ... as always,
Love, Henkela

  Henkela Oct 11, 2013 7:28 PM

4

Meno male sei venuta in Sardegna!!! Qui c'è sempre bel tempo :) ti aspettiamo per un'altra visita!!

  Ingar Oct 16, 2013 4:14 AM

5

@Johanna: Thanks for the news, always nice to get an update from Australia!! 39 degrees in October, wow sounds like this summer will be a hot one. Hope I'm back in time to get some of it :) lots of love from me xx

@Fiona+Henkela: Sardinia was amazing!! I'm posting the article up tonight with lots of photos, make sure you check it out! Hugs to both of you xox

  Anna Oct 16, 2013 5:33 AM

6

Ciao Ingar, e grazie per il commento :) si si vengo subito, mi prendi dall'aeroporto domani?? :p

  Anna Oct 16, 2013 5:38 AM

7

The library photo is well framed :) I like it

  Tini Oct 17, 2013 12:10 AM

8

Just popping in to say hi! Love your blog...I can't wait to visit Italy in the summer!

  Sarah Ward Oct 28, 2013 12:01 PM

9

@Sarah: You're going to Italy in the summer????? Whaaaat?? When? How? Why? Where? How did I not know this??? I wish I was still gonna be HERE, we could hang out together...... :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

  Anna Oct 28, 2013 10:51 PM

About annarisa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.