Existing Member?

Wander & enjoy the diversity...it feeds your soul “What is more miraculous than the moment?” Vietnamese monk Thich Nhat Hanh

“Ants go marching one by one, hurrah, hurrah.”

THAILAND | Monday, 24 November 2008 | Views [1161] | Comments [1]

ant deterrent

ant deterrent

11/24/08 “The ants go marching one by one, hurrah, hurrah.”

I wish I could show you the ants that I am referring to, but…they are really, really small! Their size is deceiving though, for they are very resourceful! I left half of a croissant on the counter and 10 minutes later they were all over it! We have shared our cookies, cereal, juice, & fruit with them & they still want more! They even went after my computer!!! So…I tried to kill them as they came out of the keyboard & as they climbed up the screen…but…they kept crawling ‘out & about!’ I was getting concerned about the trauma my computer might be undergoing, so I called the Mac center in Bangkok & keyed in ‘English’ line. I asked what to do for “ants” (bugs) in my computer? The Thai-English “computer expert” asked if I was having any software, application, or “sow” problems? “Sow” problems…hmmm. I asked, “What are ‘sow’ problems? They spelled it out – “s-o-u-n-d.” No, I didn’t have any S-O-U-N-D problems…ONLY an ant problem. It was suggested that I take my computer to another city to have it taken apart. Well…not possible at this point, so I asked my daughter in India, if she has had that issue. No, she moves her computer every day so the ants can’t catch up to it! Plus, there is a product called ant chalk – one can draw a line around the things you want to protect and instant BARRIER!!!!YEAH!!!

Suggestion from a well-traveled relative who has lived all over the world, even Papua, New Guinea.  "A word about ants and how to beat them: we used to put the legs of tables in little saucers or bowls of water. That kept the ants off the eating and work surfaces. Didn't have computers back in those days when living in the bush.  We also used to set a row of traps at night along the corridor to catch the racing rats up and down in our Bamboo Bungalow #4. A pig in the cesspit and snakes falling from the tin roof also fond memories. Our neighbor's screams when a huge centipede on her toilet wall gave her a bit of a surprise outdid our comparatively tame insects, moths, and beetles. But they were gargantuan. I mean really big. 12 inches or more."

Hope I have outsmarted our little ants!  And thankful we haven't had any rats!  

Tags: ants, bugs

Comments

1

Hurray! Glad you were able to find the ant chalk repellent! Hope it works. Just keep your sticky croissant fingers away from the keyboard--that should help too! :)

  Kirsten Nov 25, 2008 2:19 AM

About annanderson


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.