Existing Member?

Of wandering feet and hungry bellies

Broadway Market beckons

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [2524] | Scholarship Entry

I blame it on the namer of streets. I had eagerly marched to Broadway Market only to find, well, I hadn't arrived at all. Somewhere along the way I had been drawn down streets with irresistible names like Pope's Head Alley and Crooked Billet Yard. I made a final turn only to be stopped short by the spiky iron gates of London's Victoria Park. A spot worth visiting; just not in defiance of a grumbling stomach.

If you're nodding in sympathy (or if you’d rather avoid this situation altogether) let me introduce you to CityMapper. It mashes Google Maps with tube and bus timetables to pull up the best travel routes by foot and public transport. Concede defeat to your sense of direction (or lack thereof) and CityMapper will get you back on track. In my case, to East London's hip Saturday food and craft market.

Luckily for me, and for those who enjoy a sleep-in, only a handful of stalls brave the first lights of the day. Unlike the well-known Borough Market, Broadway Market isn't heaving with tourists. The press of hangry crowds at Borough Market have often induced me to throw my money at the bratwurst man when I wanted a crepe, or grab a cronut when I was craving paella. Broadway Market has much more of a "locals" vibe. So despite my detour I wasn’t at risk of being whipped into a food frenzy upon an 11am arrival.

All the stalls are regulars, but I love gorging myself on the sights on offer. Barrels of stuffed olives, wedges of brownie winking with walnuts, bruschetta slathered in cream cheese and salmon; you will never darken the doors of a Tesco on a Saturday again. First time at the markets? Its best kept secret is the extension in the schoolyard around the corner from Broadway proper. Tucked in this back pocket of the market are more ready-to-eat stalls, tables laden with vintage jewelry and a pop-up record store.

The array of choice has the potential to overwhelm so I'll share with you one of my favorites: the salad lady at the top of Broadway. She has an unsurpassed enthusiasm for vegetables and a tendency to overfill the carton, both of which work well in my favor. Plus it means you can go for round two, be it a burger or a sweet treat.

When you’ve made amends with your grumpy belly its time to scout out the busker-de-jour, usually found at the intersection of Broadway and Jackman. Its a lucky dip who will serenade you, but rest assured they will probably sport a man-bun. Wrap up your outing as I did, with a sun-soaked wander along Regent's Canal.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About annagrace


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.