Existing Member?

Lost in paradise.

Bazar Karat, the art of street shopping.

MALAYSIA | Wednesday, 3 June 2015 | Views [261]

In the heart of Johor Bahru there lies an alley which gathers various vendors and sellers. From old antiques to shoes, arts to jeans altering, the types of goods and services offered are many!

I was there few times and the surrounding were so lively everytime. Starting at the entrance you have few stalls selling accesories which exhibits creative beadworks that are handmade and available for adoption.

The alley stretches further with the view of old man selling vintage 'old school' army apparels such as boots, backpacks, medicinal canteens  and random stuff you can ever imagine!

Straight ahead I found shoeseller with his artwork lined at the old building wall that stretches along the alley. These artworks screams to be adopted. Unfortunately I had not enough to take them home. I stopped and have a good chat with the owner, which managed to express his philosophy on life and what inspires his art.

Moving further there were toys and home accesories section, with families as the majority of the customers. Haggling on the prices of the bedsheet, towels and such. And like a hunter carrying their catch, they left the stall with the biggest grin and hands full if the bargaining process favors them.

I decided to stop at a turn where my favourite section stands; the FOOD stalls. Unique street food that might not be available anywhere else is my weakness, my calling. The 'satay ikan', the coconut shake drink, are among the menu listed.

If you ever stop by Johor Bahru, do visit this Bazar Karat and get to know where the locals hang out and do their shopping. Haggle wisely, take care of your belongings, eat and shop til you drop!

Tags: street shopping

About annafauzi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.