Existing Member?

anita

Writings from the bus station, hotel for the night

PERU | Monday, 23 August 2010 | Views [686]

Time: 3am

Place: Piura, Peru

Why: good question…

 I arrived in Trujillo at 7:30 this morning and, wanting to assure my trip to Tumbes, I bought a ticket straight away. Happy with ticket in hand, I was taken back to Movil Tours by Freddy (my taxi driver and ending up being my chauffeur for the day) where we waited for the next bus from Huaraz carrying potential tourists who would want to tour with us to Huaca del Sol/Luna and all the different sites in Chan Chan, the mud/adobe village. After a bit of waiting around, we were summoned to a hostel where there was a Japanese-Brazilian woman who wanted to go to El Brujo, a site from over 5000 years ago, but also about an hour out of Trujillo.

After a lot of back-and-forth, I was agreeable and said that we could go to El Brujo, and then Iliana could be on her way by the afternoon to her next destination, and I could continue onto Chan Chan on my own.

El Brujo had a pretty nice museum featuring, at the end, la Señora Cao, a woman of 20-25 years old who ruled there at about 300/400 BC. The mummy itself was in great shape (you could still see the tattoos on her arm) though she was displayed a little far away for viewing pleasure.

Iliana and I then headed outside to the most excavated mound (the peeps would bury the temple once one government died along with the governor & co and then would build on top of it, literally ruling on the grounds of their ancestors) which was pretty ok to see, but a little lacking on the things we could actually see. Iliana said Huaca de la Luna had been more impressive with its brilliant color, but we have to remind ourselves, 5000+ years old!

At the very least, the trip gave me the opportunity to chat with a fellow traveler, get tips, give tips (she’ll be going to Ecuador in a few days).

[mmmm…I fell asleep for 2 hours across 3 chairs. Great way to pass the time. It’s now 5:30 and I don’t know where the rooster is, but he’s definitely announcing the morning…hahaha…I see him sitting on one of the chairs. I guess that’s one way to bring your alarm clock.]

I then went to Chan Chan, the largest adobe-mud-brick city of its time and the oldest existing one in the world. It was ok, but 1) I was hungry, 2) I was tired, 3) I was convinced that many parts were false, that they have been more recently carved…  So it was an ok adventure, but I was relieved to escape Freddy and go internetting awhile.

It was while I was internetting that I started reading more about Tumbes boarder-crossing and how it’s pretty shady, and that it’s better to cross at Mancorá. There was some confusion on my part because I was confusing “Macará” (Peru) for “Mancorá” (Ecuador), but I got a ticket 10 minutes before the 8pm bus was supposed to leave for Piura…

…and that would be how I ended up in a bus terminal in Piura at 2:30am.

 

It’s now 6:47 in the morning and I’m waiting until 7:30 to taxi to Transportes Loja which is apparently in a busy, pickpocket-ridden area.  I called yesterday to reserve a ticket (Piura to Loja, Ecuador) and they just took my first name, so I do hope there is a seat for me. From Loja I should be able to find a bus to Quito, but lord only know how long that ride will be. “Lord” or maybe even my guidebook…

 *                      *                      *

I got to the Transportes Loja station to buy my “reserved” ticket. I think the guy thinks I’m a little overboard because at the time I bought the ticket today, I think I was the first. I asked if I needed to reserve a ticket Loja à Qiuto, and he just looked at me like “really? No.” He also said it was 12 hours from Loja to Quito. Que barbaridad.

I am relieved to be getting to Ecuador. My 8-hour bus ride for today cost $10.

 *                      *                      *

Boarder crossing! Yay! The Ecuador stamp does have a bit of artistic flair lacking, but they were very kind in using pages in the back of my passport that I had though were useless, so that was nice.

Even more rad, though, is seeing Ecuador stamp “August 23, 2007” and then flipping back a few pages, Ecuador stamp “August 23, 2010”

 *                      *                      *

The bus driver doesn’t appear to have the same will to live as I do – I guess when we arrive in Loja on time/early I’ll be thankful for his hasty driving…?

Tags: boarder crossing, chan chan, ecuador, el brujo, huaraz, loja transportes, mancorá, peru, piura, tumbes

About anita


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.