Existing Member?

So then this happen... American girl living in a jumbled universal world.

Sometimes you gotta go over the pond.

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 10 May 2014 | Views [255] | Scholarship Entry

September 15, 2013 I realized like Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz, I was no longer in Kansas. The last three months of my life I've went from a grad student daydreaming about my future to saying my final goodbyes to my parents and love ones to embark on a ride that would change my life forever.

I was sitting in my class one day listening to Amy Winehouse and developed a sudden urge to move to the UK. I had every reason in my favor to do so; no kids, no major responsibilities, and I'm young. Why not?! I told my best friend about this idea and she was like YES! DO IT! In the midst of this grand celebration of throwing cares to the world and running off a few things occurred-1. NO PASSPORT. 2. NO MONEY. and 3. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU PLANNING TO DO?! This is where my child like mind took a backseat, and the responsible adult started to drive.

My con's of moving to another country grew as time went on. One advantage was I was still in school. One of the many perks of being a college student other than cool t-shirts and epic parties is that there are a lot of study abroad programs that allow you to travel and see the world in a new horizen. I came across a organization and said why not, what have you got to loose? Now at first I was a bit skeptic because everything was too good to be true...EVERYTHING! So I made contact and told them what I wanted to do and they gave me a list of schools in the UK that would be great for my professional career (I’m currently working be a screenwriter but that's another story). So I checked them out, thought they were okay, and didn't hear anything. I took it as they don't like me and continued daydreaming about leaving.

One day my recruiter emailed me letting me know they were still interested and hope everything on my end was going okay. Excuse as my mind has been blown and I’m looking to repair it. I looked at that email and instantly got to work. I was able to get recommendations, complete a portfolio, and write a letter of interest all before my graduation photos were developed.

It's still surreal to me how far I've come from having a vision and seeing it come to pass. I don't know what the world has for me, but I'm ready and willing to take it as it comes. But for now, I’m going to enjoy this view of the sunrising of the London Bridge.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About angfreely


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.