Existing Member?

The Ocean and all of its wonders

The first time I saw the ocean.

SOUTH AFRICA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [155] | Scholarship Entry

I was 8 years old the first time I saw the ocean. I am not talking about that silly game all ocean-goers play to see who can spot the ocean first from their car. I am talking about the first time I was actually greeted by the ocean as if it waved ‘Hello’. My family and I had driven right through the day from Johannesburg to make it to the Fairest Cape before nightfall. We succeeded. I only know this because I remember running uncontrollably towards the water’s edge with the last rays of the sun gently lighting my way. My younger brother and I had splashed around in the wash and danced around on the sand until sunset. There is honestly nothing more breath taking than the pink sky kissing the edge of the world, far out into the distance.
Ever since my first encounter with the ocean, I have been hooked. I crave the salty smell and the sand in my hair. I long for the majestic way in which the water caresses my body, smoothly swaying me from side to side. I yearn for the sight of yet another pink sunset or sunrise over the ocean. Not only does the ocean represents freedom and a sense of hope, but it also brings back many memories like walking up and down the beach in search of that perfect shell to present to my mother, building sand castles and burying other people alive, dodging the washed up jelly fish and blue bottles, the list goes on. One of my personal favourite beach time activities is running towards waves at full speed, smashing into them moments before they are about to break. My brother and I have always taken great delight in being violently washed up onto beach after numerous rumbles and tumbles in the waves.
I also have a need of to be the furthest swimmer out there beyond the breakers. I use to silently challenge strangers to see who was more daring to venture further out into the unknown. Being a provincial swimmer I rarely had competition. I would spend hours with only the sea to keep me company while I lay on my back, staring up into the sky as I gently floated over each wave without a care in the world. Sure, there are sharks and jelly fish in the ocean and seaweed that occasionally brush again your legs, giving you a mini heart attack, but it never fazed me too much. Besides, I’m in touch with my inner mermaid. I also figured that if I had survived one blue bottle sting, the odds of surviving another would be in my favour.
So, just like every other ocean addict, I dream of being in awe with the oceans beauty one again.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About angeliquedelamere


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.