Existing Member?

ange in africa...again one aussie girl, 6 weeks, back to the continent that captured my heart

the cost of things in kenya

KENYA | Thursday, 20 September 2007 | Views [3407]

not much has really been happening lately, just working and going out and all that jazz, so i thought i'd give a little insight into how much things cost here.

700ml bottle of safari vodka - 300shillings, about $5

pair of beaded thongs - 300shillings

getting a dress made - 600shillings, just over $10

transport to work every day - 50shillings, about 80c

500ml tusker beer in a pub - 100 shillings, $1.80

500ml tusker beer in the supermarket, 70shillings, $1.20

chapati and beans in a local cafe - 20 shillings, about 50c

dinner and drinks in a plush restaurant - max 1500shillings, about $28

weekend away in a beach hut - 400shillings, about $8

obviously there are some really plush places that cost a lot of money to stay at, but even the best 5 star hotel here that has a million pools, day spa, waiters bringing you anything you could possibly ask for at any hour of the day or night, is still only gonna set you back about $120 a night at most! its nuts! the place we're going to this weekend is five star, all inclusive, so thats all meals and alcohol plus water sports for 4200 shillings each, so about $80. bargain basement or what!!!!

only a week and a half left of volunteering in mombasa for me, its crazy that i'm at the end of this part of the trip almost. i think i'm ready to leave mombasa though, what with the hassles with my project and all that jazz. i'm not ready to leave my homestay family though, i really love those guys, i think alvin, thats the 7year old kid at my homestay, is gonna have an emotional breakdown when i leave. its so funny cos when i first came, he barely spoke two words to me, and now good luck trying to get him to shut up!!! its gonna be hard saying goodbye to some of the volunteers cos you bond so quickly when you're doing something like this, and plus we're all so alike, like i've found so many people who share my world views and values, people you can really have a decent conversation with, and realistically we're probably never going to see each other again. but i guess you just have to make the most of the time you have, and make the effort to keep in touch and meet up somewhere along the line of life. i've met a lot of english and irish people, and for the first time in my life i'm actually entertaining the idea of doing a 12 month stint in the uk to work. shocking i know. don't worry though mum, i havent actually made any plans yet, so you will still see me soon!!!

so thats it from me folks, stay happy, safe and telling everyone that you love just how much they mean to you on a daily basis, cos every second that we have with each other matters! love and miss you all...ange:)

Tags: Budgets & money

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.