Existing Member?

Round the world in 7 months How will you know, if you never go?

Trekking in the Himalayas

NEPAL | Monday, 27 April 2009 | Views [1753] | Comments [6]

Chomolunga (Mt Everest), Nuptse, Lhotse, Makalu 8463m, Ngozumba Glacier, from Gokyo Ri 5357m

Chomolunga (Mt Everest), Nuptse, Lhotse, Makalu 8463m, Ngozumba Glacier, from Gokyo Ri 5357m

We have just spent 3 weeks trekking in the Himalayas, doing the Everest Base Camp and Gokyo Lakes trail.  What can we say but WOW, what a totally amazing experience! 

The trip started with a “meet and greet” where we were introduced to our group - - there were 7 of us altogether: 3 aussies (Carly and Craig from Albury, and Pete from Perth) and 2 Polish people (Hannah and Mark).  Following this was a day tour around Kathmandu where we saw a few of the famous sites including the monkey temple (there really were lots of monkeys!) and Durbar Square.

 

Finally on the 13th of April there was a very early morning start to get to the airport to catch our plane to Lukla, the start of the trek at 2850m!  The planes were delayed due to poor visibility at Lukla - - they now require visibility of 5km after a plane crashed there last year!!!  Anyway we finally took off about 3 hours late, and after about 40 minutes landed in Lukla, which was an experience in itself!  The incredibly short runway literally hangs off the side of the mountain, and as we banked down steeply to meet it I think everybody who could see it through the cockpit window thought “we’re supposed to land there??”  After we landed safely all the passengers seemed to be buzzing, it was similar to the thrill of being on a roller coaster!

 

Overall the trek was really well paced, with several acclimatisation days allowing us to adjust to the altitude.  The first couple of days were spent walking through some pretty forest (the flowers were starting to bloom, including the rhododendrons which are the national flower) on the way to Namche Bazar, a thriving metropolis sitting at about 3400m - - you can buy all necessities here… trekking clothes, food, and even super speedy internet!  The trail felt a bit like State Highway One at times, with lots of other tourists, local porters and yaks carrying essentials up the mountain.  The weather was still a little hazy but every now and then the clouds would clear and we would get glimpses of snow capped mountains.

 

As the days continued we climbed higher, and passed through the small town of Tenboche (3850m), where we got some great views of Everest from our bedroom window and visited the monastery there, and Dingboche which was at 4400m and a good place for another acclimatisation day as we were all starting to feel the affects of the altitude in various ways.  By now we had passed above the treeline and the vegetation consisted of short grass and the occasional shrub.  We were starting to see some incredible geology, huge glacial moraines and alluvial fans, textbook stuff on a scale that makes Fox and Franz Joseph glaciers seem like babies.

 

Climbing higher still we stayed at Lobuje (around 4910m) and then finally Gorak Shep (5150m), at one of the highest guesthouses in the world.  Gorak Shep is used as a base for walking to Everest Base Camp (2 hours, 5363m) and the mountain of Kala Pathar (5545m, which has spectacular views of Everest (8848m) and nearby Lhotse (8501m), Nuptse (7861m) and the Khumbu Glacier).  Unfortunately I got really sick in Lobuje, quite a common thing up in the mountains, trekkers often get gastro bugs from the food/water/other trekkers.  So the rest of our group went on ahead to Gorak Shep with our main guide Raj so that they could make it to base camp and back that afternoon, while I lagged behind taking frequent rest stops with our other guide Mylar, knowing that I could barely make it to Gorak Shep let alone base camp!  The 3 hour walk ended up taking me 4 hours, which all things considered wasn’t too bad, but bloody hell it was a pretty tough 4 hours trying to summon every ounce of energy to put one foot in front of the other in the thinning air, with my body’s fuel reserves running on less than empty!  Although on the way up I do remember seeing 2 people being escorted down, one on horseback who looked really uncomfortable and the other who looked like she had absolutely no idea where she was (telltale signs of altitude sickness) and had to be helped along by her guide - - and I thought ‘well, at least I’m doing better than them!!’  When I finally made it I just about cried, managed to force some tomato soup down, and then proceeded to sleep for most of the afternoon while the others headed to base camp!  By the evening I’d had enough and decided to kick the bug with some antibiotics (HUGE thanks to the travel doctor we visited in Perth!).  The others made it to base camp and back no worries that afternoon, and said there was not much to see except a bunch of tents, as you can’t actually see Everest from base camp.

 

Another interesting thing that happened while we were in Gorak Shep was the worlds highest 20/20 cricket match!  In the pipeline for 2 years, a bunch of amateur cricketers from England (the Lords Taverners or something?) had gotten sponsorship to play the worlds highest cricket game and raise money for charity.  So on our 2nd day in Gorak Shep, while half the group climbed Kala Pathar, the rest of us sat and watched the cricket!  It was Team Hilary vs Team Tenzing, and the perfect way for me to recuperate and wait for the antibiotics to start working and try and find my appetite again so that I would have some fuel to walk the next day (Team Hilary won).  Abe said the views from Kala Pathar were spectacular, and Everest seemed so close you could almost reach out and touch it - - I was there in spirit!  Luckily he took lots of photos.

 

The following day we headed down from Gorak Shep towards the Cho La Pass (5420m), and thankfully I was feeling much better.  We crossed over the pass which was pretty interesting and once again had spectacular views and geology (like huge bare rock faces with cross-cutting veins and pegmatites).  We had to clamber over the glacier at the top and then head down a very steep slope on the other side into the Gokyo region.  The glacial fed Gokyo lakes are a spectacular dark blue colour and well worth the visit.  We spent a few days in this area, and climbed Gokyo Ri (5360m) for some more views of the mountains, including 4 over 8000m (Everest, Lhotse, Makalu and Cho-oyu), and the Ngozumpa glacier.

 

The next few days were spent heading back down the Gokyo valley towards Namche Bazar and eventually Lukla to catch our plane back to Kathmandu.  We stayed one night in the small town on Khumjung where we visited the monastery and saw a yeti skull (apparently it is real!), and stopped by the schoolyard to see the statue of Sir Edmund Hillary.  On our night in Namche it was Raj’s birthday so we surprised him with a cake and sung happy birthday.  We drank moonshine (which tastes similar to Japanese sake) in Phakding, and after many beers in Lukla on the night before our flight we ended up dancing to Nepalese music with our guides and the owners of the guesthouse - - lots of fun!

 

One thing that amazed us was the standard of food and accommodation up in the mountains… by Western standards it would be seen as fairly basic, but considering that there are no roads in this part of the world and everything has to be carried up by porters, the standard of living offered to trekkers is pretty luxurious!  We were able to get Western food the whole way up (pizza, pasta, soups, etc), bottled water, beer and chocolate bars were readily available but just became more expensive the higher up you go, and most places offered hot showers (although we didn’t really bother most of the time, it was too cold to think about taking clothes off!).  Also incredible was the amount of gear that any one porter would be carrying… anywhere from 30-40kg up to 100kg!  And here we were struggling with just our day packs, no wonder they were laughing at us!  As harsh a life as it is, the Sherpa people seem pretty happy and lead peaceful lives - - it was so nice to get away from the constant traffic buzz of Kathmandu, and in fact everywhere else in SE Asia that we have been!  And of course the incredible scenery has to be seen to be believed.  The scale of it all is immense, and after the first few days you become a little blasé and have to remind yourself to look up again.  I would definitely come back here again.

Comments

1

oh you two are soooooooo cute!!!!xoxoxoxooxo

  Josie May 3, 2009 6:31 PM

2

Looks amazing guys!!!
Thanks so much for the journal its fantastic to be able to see and hear about what your doing:)
Keep having fun, and keep writing!!

  Corrin May 3, 2009 8:42 PM

3

What an awesome experience! I have such a better idea of what it would be like from your journal - thanks! I am jealous. Hope you guys are great! Look forward to hearing about the next adventures!

  Matt Quinn May 4, 2009 2:20 AM

4

WOW abe and ang what a trip so far
fantastic

  lance McDonald May 4, 2009 8:50 PM

5

Wow... wow.. .what an amzing trip. Thank you for writing in your journal. When I hadnt read anything for weeks I have to say I was getting worried. But instead you were walking to heaven! All is well In Masterton, although it getting very cold. Roger is currently in Loas solcing bird flu ans swine flu problems and returning on Sunday for a few days before heading off to spend a month in China and Mongolia.So I'll be a 'flu widow' for a few months.
Love to you both.

  Anne May 9, 2009 7:25 AM

6

Hey Ang and Abe! We liked your blog and decided to feature it this week in our "Popular Stories this month" so that others could enjoy it too!

Happy travels!

~World Nomads

  World Nomads May 19, 2009 3:25 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.