Existing Member?

My Asia I fell in love with Cambodia in 2002. I am fortunate enough to now be able to enjoy regular trips. I hope you enjoy following me and that the information is useful to some!

KAMPOT

CAMBODIA | Monday, 19 September 2011 | Views [1544]

This time we only have four nights in my second home of Kampot.

But we have certainly used them wisely and have had a terrific time.

Day of Arrival – Arrive at the Rikitikitavi after a taxi from Phnom Penh Airport, took us aprox 2.5 hours, $40 for taxi. Great welcomes and hugs from Petal! And we met the gorgeous Tori. We are in the lovely double room this time and Peta, who from on will be known as Pita Bread! Is gob smacked at how beautiful this place is. But of course l have known this for a few years now!!

Instantly hired bikes ($1.50 for 24 hours)and after a refreshing lunch we were off to the Fishing Village and salt fields.  It is so green, the rice has been planted and getting planted  and is just so beautiful. Lots of kids to say hello, we could’nt find my buffalo boys from my last trip but found another group of boys riding water buffaloes.

Cocktails and Beef Saraman for dinner – l am home now.

Day Two – Up to Fish markets at 6am to see them un loading the boats, from the Riki this is a short walk to the left of going out the door, about 5 minutes. If into taking photos a great spot. Off to the Kampot wet Market, l love this typicle Cambodian market, they also have yummy coffee! We get a Tuk Tuk out to  Prek Tnaut which is the new Tek Chhau…. As the chinese dam has ruined that. Its about 30k's west of Kampot at the foot of Bokor Mountain, took about an hour in the Tuk Tuk. A local community is trying to establish a eco-tourism site. There is a row of little restaurant shacks, where you order and they bring it down to a bamboo shade beside the river, we decided to eat and attempt to talk with the people in their shack, was a bit of fun! Not much English is spoken and we had no idea what we were going to get for lunch!!! After lunch, we walked a fair way up stream being told there was a waterfall! No waterfall here! but we swam in a pool with no one else around. Freezing cold and little fish that get the rough skin off your body all for free! Should’ve seen Pita bread jump! This place is beautiful and  unspoilt, and no one seems to know where it is, it is not in any of the books!

Back in town and a Stroll down town and who should we see Aussie, Aussie, Aussie – Darren – Oi oi oi!

Day Three – A trip to Bokor – This deserves its own entry and it will proceed after this one! The day ended at Jolie Jolie with a foot scub and then back to the Riki for 4 cocktails and burger! Darren & Tori join us for tea and we all enjoyed a lovely tipsy night! Pita Bread passed out earlier and did't make it to the "nice cup of tea" stage!

Day Four – Out to Banteay Shrei Project, a women's healing & retreat center in Kampot. The center's primary purpose will be to provide a safe space for women who have escaped from trafficking. We drop off my Yoga Mats and meet Freya – a wonderful project, please support. Then off on the Diva ( Darrens boat, Kampot dreamtime tours.) to the sandbanks for an afternoon of swimming, chatting, eating and drinking red wine! Boran and Nee kept us entertained and we had great fun swimming with them and Pita Bread and Boran jumping off the boat together. Darren made his first potatoe salad and it was perfect!

Morning of Day Five  - I get in another trip to Jolie Jolie and enjoyed two hours of bliss – a body scrub and a massage. And then Boo Hoo so sad we are leaving. Feels like we have been here for weeks. How lucky am l to enjoy some amazing hospitality at the Riki and become friends with Tori, who is looking after it for Denise and Dom as they enjoy a well needed break. One of the guests told me last night he thought l had been here for weeks! And it feels like it too! I have been totally spoilt this trip and cannot thank these guys neough, there was certainly tears in my eyes as l left.

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.