Existing Member?

The Way The Nori Rolls

The End

JAPAN | Wednesday, 31 March 2010 | Views [1467] | Comments [5]

Golden Gai, Shinjuku, Tokyo

Golden Gai, Shinjuku, Tokyo

Well, that’s about it from me and my adventures in Japan for the World Nomads travel writing scholarship... for now at least.  I intend to continue posting at this address with updates on what I’m up to in the world of travel writing… which, if all goes to plan, will be a lot of things! 

Since returning from Japan, my life has taken on quite a different shape – I’ve been discussing future assignments with the Rough Guide, have been interviewed by local media and am generally still trying to get my head around how to earn a crust as freelance writer.  It’s all very new to me and the learning curve has been steep, but I’m really enjoying myself and am excited for what the future holds.

One of the main things I’ve gleaned from this experience is that the life of a guide book writer isn’t as easy or leisurely as one may imagine. The days are looooooong and invariably draining – both physically and mentally.  You have to be incredibly motivated, energetic and flexible, switched on 24/7 and unafraid to throw yourself into the unknown at any given second… but this also makes the job really exciting, a lot of fun and definitely something I’m pursuing wholeheartedly.

As a newbie to this game, the thing I’ve had to work hardest at is training myself to produce quality writing to a deadline over and over again – I’ve still got a long way to go (the fact that I’m still blogging a month after my return is testament to this), but I’m getting faster at it and finding it easier every day… practice, practice, practice.

I would like to say a massive thank you to World Nomads for giving me this insanely cool opportunity – people plug away for years to get even just a taste of what you’ve handed to me on a sushi covered silver platter.  This scholarship has been life changing in the best way possible and for that my gratitude has no bounds.

To my travel-writing sensei/mentor/guru, Simon Richmond; it was a privilege to meet you and learn from you. It was also a whole lot of fun.  Thank you, from the bottom of my Anpanman-loving heart for all you have done for me – your patience, encouragement and guidance ensured that I got more out of this experience than I could have ever hoped for… when I grow up, I want to be just like you.

Thanks also to everyone who has been following my blog and for all your comments (even if most of them came from my friends posing as random strangers)… the idea that anyone other than my mother would read what I write is really quite cool.

Oh, and I hope for world peace.

Watch this space…

 

Comments

1

World peace... bahaha!!! Love it!! I vote you for Miss Australia! Or Miss Japan, if you'd prefer it that way.

  anon Apr 1, 2010 2:07 PM

2

Hahaha! Thanks! Let's aim high, let's go for Miss Universe.

  amy_palfreyman Apr 1, 2010 3:04 PM

3

Thank you for the journey. Good writing Amy, your gratefulness is simultaneously gracious and humorous. Must have good parents.....

  lorette Apr 1, 2010 6:42 PM

4

I'll miss the updates, so don't stop now!!

  Susanne Apr 1, 2010 8:18 PM

5

Ames, keep the blogs coming, I have formed an addiction. Can you blog on Melbourne? (just keep my name out of it!)

  Vixta Apr 2, 2010 10:36 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.