Existing Member?

Travel and volunteering in nepal

Volunteer in nepal

NEPAL | Sunday, 30 October 2011 | Views [427]

It’s a joy for me to be able to work as a volunteer in Nepal. The experience I have gained will always be remembered and cherish. Firstly, I have no reservation in recommending Alliance nepal to family and friends. The staff is friendly and efficient. They are trustworthy and reliable. Every 2 or 3 days one of the staff from Alliance Neapl would come and visit or call to check on me and another volunteer, David from Germany. In short, this is what I called “Personalised Service” which I received from Alliance Nepal. It was wonderful that Alliance Nepal had arranged for me to stay with a very nice host family. Throughout my stay with my host family, I was able to observe their local cultures and traditions as well as I enjoyed eating Nepal’s national food, daal-baaht. I was placed to do my volunteer service at “Annapurna Child Home” with 22 children. My first impression of “Child Home” was shocking. I regret to say it has very poor facilities yet it has given me a better insight and a valid reason that I could do something to help the local volunteers and children there. David and I were honour to be their first batch of foreign volunteers at “Child Home”. To be honest, although both of us are inexperienced in volunteering and caring the children, we did our best to teach and play with the children. I should mention here that communication with the children is a HUGE problem as most of them are young and do not know how to speak English. Nevertheless, when there’s a will, there’s a way. One of our biggest project or achievement in “Home” was to brighten up the gloomy girls’ and boys’ room. We had a wonderful time in painting some cute cartoons in each room, including the kitchen. The end result was beyond words to describe. We also discovered some kids are talented in drawing and crafting. I truly hope these kids will be given an opportunity to explore whatever talent they have been blessed into a skill which will come in handy when they grow up. Although I’m back in Singapore now, I never stopped thinking of the children and people I met in Nepal. May all sentient beings in this world are blessed with loving, kindness and compassion.

http://www.volunteerworkinnepal.org/index.htm

Tags: orphanage work, teaching, trekking, volunteer

About alliancenepal


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.