Existing Member?

He only went out for some milk A blurb of monstrous proportions - it was only supposed to be a couple of lines and the odd photo.

The Routeburn

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 9 December 2007 | Views [877] | Comments [1]

Me and Bob in a very natural looking pose...I'm looking forward to that cooked breakfast

Me and Bob in a very natural looking pose...I'm looking forward to that cooked breakfast

Tony booked this Great Walk months ago - it was the only way the we could guarantee a walk in this area. Milford Sound is just too popular. Our early planning hadn't gone so far as to work out transportation for the beginning and the end of the track, or even the best number of huts to book. Strangely, we had booked 4 nights in huts not the 2 we needed. It would have meant LOTS of time chilling in the huts. We ended up cancelling 2 of the nights just before we started and re-arranging our accommodation.

The Routeburn is a sort of alpine trail for between 3 and 5 days, depending upon the usual: what you want to do, how long your holiday is, and how many coffee and cakey times you've had. Our 2 nights and 3 days of walking 4-6 hours was just about perfect. It's described as a moderate walk, it was certainly not difficult, but at the end of the day we were ready for using one of the many stoves in the hut and making a feast of our freeze dried/lightweight food. Packets of soup, dried pasta and tuna and freeze dried cooked breakfast. This last one was supposed to be a treat on our last day of walking. The finest ingredients money can buy. several times the needed amount of water, Tony at the stove (i was still in bed) and voila - mush. Easily the worst meal I've ever had.

It's a really nice walk, and it's really popular: ice cold, crystal clear streams and lakes, dense and lush beach forests, red tussocked hills just like Scotland - all overlooked by snow capped giants. The huts are generally in amazing locations - but bunk beds and no showers. It sort of feels like an international jamboree. Outdoorsy people, simple food cooked over a stove, people huddled together around a log fire for warmth, dibs on getting the best beds. Some set off early just to claim one - like the towel on the deckchair, perhaps the German contingent (sorry!). The first night i went to bed i could see Tony grinning manically at me from his bunk. I did the most obvious thing - ignored him and went to sleep. It's only later in the morning i find out he was trying to tell me the elderly couple in the bunks below us were having "jig-a-jig". Nice...

Tags: trekking

 

Comments

1

Really sorry I missed the Routeburn one to go back to. Did you "end" up in Glenorchy ? I wrote a poem about the freeze dried food n stuff I ate while travelling NZ... definitely included "Packets of pasta" (alliteration!)... I remember porridge being a staple too... and other treats such as marshmallows! .. . Shane: we went through Glenorchy on our way to the start and ended at the sandfly ridden Divide. i should say that the meal the night before was one of the best ever - pasta/tomato and oinon soup/tomato and basil tuna - now that was yum. It was a nice track but not my favourite...

  Tam Dec 17, 2007 5:09 PM

About all_powered_up

one ruined t-shirt and one ruined pair of trousers.  cool.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.